Thread: Inbreeding.

Default Inbreeding.

My mum asked me today about 'breed standard'.
    Her question was;

Will reducing the gene pool to display specific characteristics open up the breed to genetic problems in the future?

I said 'mum, im a nurse, not a breeder, but I'll ask my forum for you.'

In other words, I think she's asking because the breed standard is so strict, does that mean that in 100 years from now, all the dogs will end up being inbred.

Thanks guys
    Education not Legislation

Lala Land!!!

It depends on the diversity of the gene pool you have to start with and if you import or not. But yes in the long run there will end up being a lot of similar lines. Like andalusions in australia you go back about 5 generations and they are the same horse.
    This would happen in any place/breed/animal without outcross.
    it is not so much because of breed standard but supply.
    I think it really does depends a lot on your definition of inbreeding. How many generations removed would you consider ok?
    Last edited by Ashaari; 08-13-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

It depends... I mean everyone tries to breed for perfect conformation but in reality it is near impossible. So you go with dogs who are 'almost' perfect. Everyone has a different idea of perfect as well. You have to look at breed type as well as the breed standard, differewnt countries and even different kennels in Aus have a different interpretation of the standard.

People will always breed for different breed types so therefor not all dogs will be inbred because people won't want to use certain lines. You aren't just limited to Australia either, every day breeders import dogs and frozen semen from overseas.

I always think of horses.

Arabian horses have been strongly inbred for thousands of years and are one of the healthiest breeds about. They are also unique in being so prepotent for type that they have been used to improve almost every other horse breed in the world.

And Thoroughbreds. Every Thoroughbred in the world is descended from one of three Arabian stallions, the founders of that breed: The Godolphin Arabian, The Byerley Turk and The Darley Arabian.
    Thoroughbreds aren't a particularly unhealthy lot either.

It depends what exists in the breeding stock being used. If you breed diseased stock you risk producing diseased stock. If you inbreed dieased stock you increase the risk as their is a higher concentration of faulty genetic material. If you inbreed healthy stock you get more of the same.

The thing to remember with any breeding program is the old adage "breed the best and cull the rest". Cull these days takes the meaning of desex. And the best is not necessarily the dog you love, or even the one that wins the most.

People need to know their breed, the individuals and the dogs in their anscestry, and be objective about what is best for the long term survival and health of that breed.

Thread Information