Thread: Thinking of Getting a Puppy

Default Thinking of Getting a Puppy

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the forum, my name is Jeff

The girlfriend and I have been thinking of getting a puppy, and we have came to a conclusion that we would love to have a Yorkshire Terrier.
    The thing is we both work, so I was just wondering if it is okay for us to leave the puppy at home by herself (we want a girl ) while we go off to work. If so where is the best place to put her.

We have an 8 month old Cavalier X who we got at 8 weeks. My fiance and I both work fulltime but because of his hours and shifts there is someone home with our puppy 3 to 4 days per week.

I don't know much about the Yorkshire Terrior breed but I think it's really important to make sure you choose a breed that are happy to be left alone. I think Poppy (our pup) would HATE us if we left her home alone in the yard 5 days a week for 10 hours or more. She is very much a people dog and LOVES to be with us, just laying at our feet or on the couch with us.

I don't think working full time means you should NOT get a puppy but I think it means you should be extra prepared to keep them occupied while you are at work. They need things to do, bones to chew, toys to play with, clam shells to dig in, treats to find etc.

Maybe you could also consider a dog from the pound or a rescue group that is already used to and happy to be left alone. I also think that if you can...take a week or two off when you get your new dog/puppy to help it settle in!

Western Sydney

Hi Jeff,
    I had two weeks off from work I had my puppy a few years back. I did that for toilet training mainly and my mini schnauzer had a cat daddy at that time who nursed him.
    Even after two weeks I finished a little early so that I could spend more time with him. My nephew had a few Yorkies and they tend to be good breed with busy schedule but grooming required. They are quite content and very trainable little dogs in my opinion. Like any other dogs, you need to be especially careful with separation anxiety when you both work. Please use internet source to prevent it. Good luck

If it can not access to backyard or balcony for toileting, any confined area where you can clean if soiled will be good for you guys.
    Last edited by hachna; 08-05-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: to add
    I love cooking but I love eating even more.

One of the best ways to do it is to take some leave from work when the new pup comes home, a couple of weeks if you can. To start with obviously you would want to spend every minute with the pup. But within days you can start establishing a set routine. Have a crate, pen or room where the pup spends time sleeping, and set times for mealtimes, playtime etc around when you would normally be home. With most pups, if you're consistent, they will be already set in teh workday routine before your holiday ends.

Did you guys get a puppy? How is it going?

When getting a puppy it is best to take about a 2week vacation from work ( at least one of you) to be able to potty train your puppy. Yes you may leave your puppy after it has comfortable settled into your home. Making sure she is in a safe place with enough water, food and toys to keep her company. It would also be advisable for you to rotate visiting her during breaks (like lunch break) from work so you can see if she is okay.

Hope it all turned out well!!!

How did it go?

Have a good time spoiling your baby girl! Yorkshire terriers are sweet dogs
    Last edited by Paul Bright; 11-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Thread Information