Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy Skin Problems

Unhappy New Puppy Skin Problems

Hi Everyone

My sister has just added a beautiful puppy (Asha) to her family and just as Asha was about 3 months old she found several blisters all over her belly. She has kept them under control as much as she could but they have spread all over her body and have been oozing and bleeding as they dry out and crack.
    She has taken her to the Vet numerous times and is leaning towards that it is Pemphigus Foliaceus but she has suggested a series of tests at like $300 per test. We are willing to go through with them but as this is the Vets first experience with this type of thing and is taking some time to start so we are searching for help and advice in the mean time.
    We have been researching Pemphigus Foliaceus and understand what it is but we need to confirm before acting. Our main aim at the moment is to help the pain and irritation poor baby Asha is experiencing She is currently unable to use one of her front paws as it hurts so bad and is still spreading on the rest of her paws.

Thanks
    Nikki
    Last edited by Jaydee; 07-25-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Some photos would be a lot of help.
    Too reduce the drying out and cracking, try some Lucus' Paw Paw Ointment.

As for the PF, I have a few doubts thats what Asha has because..
    1. it usually starts on the face around the nose and eyes, the ears and the feet, so im surprised it seems its started on her tummy.
    2. Its not common in Shih Tzu's OR JRT's
    3. older dogs are the most prone to it.
    4. I assume she is eating healthly and doesn't have a fever.
    But by all means, trust your vet over me! Im just trying to give you other options.
    Education not Legislation

here is a photo of her paw and her nose and eye area (as you may not see it there is some flaky skin in her fur around her nose that has blisters underneath her fur and her paw is a heap of these blisters that came out all over her) these are her worst areas.
    Yeah she is eating healthy but her body is warm from the blisters not sure if its a fever.
    We have noticed some improvement in her back and belly recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like an allergic reaction to be honest.....

Aw that looks painful. Hope she gets sorted soon.
    I would have thought allergies as well

Do you have any wandering dew in your yard?

Possibly is an allergy but I would have broken out on her paws sooner.

As for the wandering dew I will make a visit and do some investigative work.

Sorry I forgot to menthion the whole litter of Puppies got the same thing as well and apparently the mother has it or had it but just a mild case. And no one is sure or has found out anything either as we all (bar one puppy) live in the same town with same Vet.

Will report back once I have made the investigation after work.

Thanks heaps

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
    Possibly is an allergy but I would have broken out on her paws sooner.

As for the wandering dew I will make a visit and do some investigative work.

Sorry I forgot to menthion the whole litter of Puppies got the same thing as well and apparently the mother has it or had it but just a mild case. And no one is sure or has found out anything either as we all (bar one puppy) live in the same town with same Vet.

Will report back once I have made the investigation after work.

Thanks heaps
    could it be mange maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    could it be mange maybe?
    The vet has done a skin scrape and found she had demodex which is a mite that cause demodectic mange which she is the secodary infection She is recieving injections for this. Unfortunatly we need to investigate the primary cause.Autoimmune response is what the vet is wanting to confirm. But in the mean time we are after any advice on how to relieve the pain she is experiencing.

I had my sister check my her yard and there is no wandering dew.

She has given antibiotics to kill any bacterial infection but still no real improvement.

Jaydee it quite possibly could be Pemphigus , those blisters look like it as i had a dog with it and she had the same looking blisters on her flanks,belly and back of her hind legs. Do you have a University Vet hospital up there in the NT? If so, then maybe get a second opinion from there or ask your Vet to send tissue samples to Q'ld Vet hospital.

If the mother has the same problem and is passing it on to all of her puppies, the breeder should be horsewhipped for breeding the bitch. Or at the very least she should be reported to the rspca and other authorities.

Thread Information