Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legalities of "raising" Dog Food

It is against the law to feed live animals... they must be killed first... thats what I was told when I had my snake... I use to feed him pre frozen mice from the pet shops, we did breed some mice for that purpose, but to be honest could never go thru with it... My understanding of the wild rabbit population in Aust is that most are diseased with mixostosis (not sure of spelling) and not safe unless you know what you are doing...

I used to live in a small country town where i had rabbit hutches and large cages set up so i could breed rabbits. I had a pet lop ear rabbit called Flopsy who had a bone fusion in her jaw,due to an abcess and surgery she passed away a few days later.

I also had dwarf rabbits i was going to breed as pets. Included were large meat rabbits,which i was going to breed for my own consumption.

Sadly,many idiots in that small country town allowed their dogs to wander,and their dogs terrorized my rabbits so bad they went into shock and died. I came home from shopping and found some had their ears pulled thru the cages where the dogs had tried to pull them out.

No rabbits again for me,i forked out alot of money in that venture,and i wouldnt go back there again. While many of the rabbits i didnt plan on keeping,i was quite attached to a few and it was heartbreaking seeing all my babies dead like they were.

Just to clarify, when I say 'wild' rabbits I mean ones that are fit for eating.
    By Domestic I mean breeds like the dwarf lop or the angora... one's that are specifically bred to be pets, not meat.

I found a wild hare baby that I turned into a pet when I was a kid, very smart animal.
    If you find yourself going through hell; Don't stay. Just keep on going.

We used to keep them for our own consuption and our dogs. Cervical dislocation is the most humane way to dispatch them - but you need to be confident and have someone very experienced show you how to do it.

Meat breeds are Californian, New Zealand White, Flemish and English Giants, etc etc.

They are intensive to keep and alot of work. We kept them though in preference to poultry 'cause I hate plucking... skinning a rabbit is easy and clean. The main trouble with them is housing. Females cannot be kept together as they are fiercly territorial and will kill and maim each other in fights. So individual cages for eveyone is the best. Then they need protection from cold and heat etc etc. Commerical rabbit farms tend to be a little like battery farms , with intensive small cages inside sheds. Mine were in separate hutches like pets would be, but we had a farm and space to move them around all the time.

Plus Myxo vaccine is illegal, and one infected mozzie or visiting wild rabbit and you can lose the lot very quickly. Calicivirus will knock them over very fast as well.

Healthy, well bred and raised meat breeds will be table sized at about 3-4 months of age.

I found, strangely enough, that the dogs usually preferred them when they were cleaned and refrigerated for a couple of days, as we did with the ones for us.

My current dogs do catch the occasional rabbit when we're out and about (well, they are sighthounds!) and will scoff it down on the spot.

The ones I used to breed were dwarf angoras, so I have no intention of using them for dog food.

I had an unknown breed rabbit they believe it was a dwarf, but weren't sure, I was/am useless at telling sex (the "flicking" technique never worked for me) so I had a mate come round who was an expert at it 1-2 times a week (dependant on litters & new rabbirts brought in) to tell me the genders.

Anyhoo, the rabbit I saved I was told it was male. It was put in its own seperate temporary hutch, whilst my carpenter fnished building the rabbit run down the side (I was planning to rescue rabbits were I could, to find new homes for them) anyhoo so the carpenter took longer than expected and then the wet season kicked in, so the temp hutch became more like semi-permanent (it was one of my spare quarantine hutches I had for any new 'uns, but it had never been previously used), and this rabbit just kept getting bigger and bigger, by then I had figured out the bugger wasn't a dwarf and figured I couldn't foster it much longer (I didn't have a clue about large breed rabbits), so took out an ad in the paper. Now reverse back a couple of weeks, I had gotten two new bunnies in, friend told me they were male. I popped them into a temp area on my front porch till I could disinfect one of the quarantine hutches. These two newest were my pets, they weren't for breeding, and were planned as inside/outside family pets. Anyhoo, I realised they wouldn't be able to wait till I had disinfected the hutch, so I had to seperate them, so I plonked one in with the large rabbit , watched for a minute, was assured that they were fine and wren't going to go at each other and set about cleaning the hutch. They were chasing each other back and forth. Anyhoo, finished the hutch, so went to get the bunny out from the other one.....opened the lid and....he was humping "her" thats right, the large breed was a female! I grabbed him out, plonked him back in with the other male (who coiincidently sniffed the female on the other male, and so assumed he was female and tried to do him LOL! hilarious) anyhoo ran back down to the larger rabbit, but she seemed fine wasn't scared or anything (she was a timid thing when I picked her up, and she never seemed to get past her nervousness) I kept any eye on her for the next few weeks, but she seemed her normal self. So anyhoo put the ad in the paper, got a number of enquiries, but during the last few ones I noticed she had been more nervous then usual "oh oh" popped into my head, I checked out her tum,,,,and felt the babies, oh crap. I obviously wasn't fast enough. I told people who enquired she was no longer available. I checked her un-openable hide box, and she had started making a nest in there, after that everything sketched her out, you could see she just wanted to be free and to go have her bubs in piece. I wasn't sure what to do...I didn't want anybody to take a pregnant mother rabbit, I didn't want to send her to the pound (no way) and the rescues I contacted already had full places. Then she started escaping, she tore through the metal mesh in numerous different areas, she was severely not happy. By this time, half her leg measured from my wrist to elbow...she was a giant breed.

I spoke to my father over hte phone for advice, and we figured something out, the best thing for her (my father knew her, the only rabbit hes ever liked lol) so after my dads work closed, we snuck up behind the building....and released her. There are hundreds of rabbits behind dads work. As soon as I opened the cage, she took off like a shot, straight into the midst of the other rabbits (who were mostly half her size LOL). My dad advised me he saw her for months after that (until he left that work) and once she even came up and took some carrot leaf from him. Still brings a smile to my lips when I think about it.

Setting your rabbit free is never ever something I would reccomend, as they may have problems adjusting to undomesticated rabbits, but I had exhausted all other options, and didn't want her put down just because of an error. She was lucky and extremely cute (well for a rabbit that could cause deep gashes in your arm anyway LOL)

I will research into the breeds you have listed thanks for your advice Everyone here is so helpful. I love it!

U set a pet rabbit free in the wild... Mmmm I don't even going to comment on this.. Wild rabbits are pests in country Australia..mmmm

Rural NSW

I wonder if there are heavy fines for doing this as they are such pests, not to mention the downright irresponsibility of doing so. Most domesticated pets lack the abilities needed for survival. I put this as even worse as some well meaning but irresponsible bird owners releasing their cockatoos, budgies or cockatiels because they see others around. It is usually sentencing them to death by predators or starvation.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

melbourne australia

Just being practical.....

What makes you think you have a rabbit hunter?
    my dog ignores the rabbits his mates chase in the morning. You may have one of these types?

Might be a bit late in the convo but...Have you weighed up the costs?

I only ask BC we have our own chooks here ( ones i rescued from battery farms) and i used them for free range eggs, all well and good in the warmer months but feeding them all in winter when u get almost NO eggs turns our costing a lot more over the year than it would cost me to just buy free range eggs....Of course i know mine are produced by happy hens who now live a happy life.
    Will the cost of raising and housing rabbits out weigh the yearly cost of buying them? Lets not forget needing someone to look after them when ever u go anywhere aswell....

Thread Information