Thread: Dog DNA Proves Coast Council Wrong

Exclamation Dog DNA Proves Coast Council Wrong ... -news.html

PUSH is on to use DNA testing to identify dangerous dog breeds after testing found two Gold Coast dogs on death row were not a restricted breed.

A Coomera family has been torn apart after the Gold Coast City Council identified their dogs as outlawed American pit bulls.

Rangi Nikau and her children were supposed to join husband and father Mete Waikai in Melbourne last month after the construction worker moved there to find work.

But they have stayed on the Coast while they wait to find out if their dogs, Whero and Mau, would be destroyed.

The council seized the dogs on May 19 and ordered them to be destroyed.

The family appealed against the decision and last week lodged DNA tests conducted by a private company to support their case.

The $299 tests by the Melbourne lab revealed that Whero was a golden retriever/Boston terrier cross and Mau was a Staffordshire bull terrier/boxer cross, which are both legal crossbreeds.

Ms Nikau said the council should have to conduct DNA tests before seizing a dog, rather than relying on the 22-point visual marker test used to identify pit bulls.

"I felt deceived that they could just look at a dog and say that's an American pit bull without having any evidentiary support or documentation," she said.

She said the dogs were seized after neighbours rang the council when Mau got loose, but she said neither dog had ever attacked anyone.

Her children, Shylah, 9, and Deaze, 5, should have been starting the second semester of the school year in Melbourne, but instead have returned to their Gold Coast school.

"My two kids are asking me, 'Mum where are the dogs?' And I tell them they've just gone on a holiday," she said.

She said it was depressing to see the dogs locked up at the Coombabah pound, where she has visited them almost daily.

"I don't know if the council realise that dogs aren't dogs to us, they're more our family," she said.

A council spokesman confirmed the DNA tests had been received and the case would be processed within a fortnight.

The council's animal management boss Bob La Castra backed DNA testing in principle.

"I think there's a strong argument for us doing DNA tests because that's the only way to be 100 per cent sure," he said.

"Unless there's a reason why we shouldn't, then that should be looked at very seriously."

He said there could be a case for compensation.

"If we find that the DNA testing shows that these dogs are not a banned breed, then I certainly think that council needs to look very, very closely at any cost that's been incurred by the owners," he said.

"The other side of the coin is we've got a duty and we could be seen as being negligent if we don't act on what our officers are trained to identify (by seizing the dogs)."
    If you find yourself going through hell; Don't stay. Just keep on going.

Haha good to see the bad guys lose every once and a while..

Great story!
    <a href= target=_blank></a>

are the dna tests really 100% reliable?? ive heard some mixed opinions .... not saying that it isnt a great story but i don't think the tests are good enough to have the ultimate answer as to whether a dog should be pts or not
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

The DNA tests are more reliable than a visual id by a council ranger.

BITSA. is Australasia’s first canine, DNA based, breed identification test. This innovative test detects the breed, or mixture of breeds that make up your dog. BITSA can identify breed signatures as far back as three generations and can define, provided they are present, the primary (parent), secondary (grandparent) and distant (great-grandparent) breeds in your dog’s ancestry.

How does BITSA work?

A DNA sample is obtained by using a pain-free, non-invasive cheek swab. This sample is then analysed using the latest state of the art DNA technology and a unique breed signature is generated for your dog. Your dog’s unique signature is cross-referenced against our extensive breed database and the breeds in your dog are identified. Results are then reported and given to you with an accurate and understandable analysis of your dog’s true breed composition.

What are breed signatures and how were they developed?

Breed signatures are a genetic representation of a particular canine breed. Our breed signature databases were developed using registered pedigree dogs, whose reference samples were collected at dog shows across Australia. This ensures that we have the best quality canine pedigree breed signatures.

How accurate is the test?

Our breed signatures have been generated from over 20,000 known pure breed dogs. We are confident that our breed signatures are an accurate representation of the breeds we claim to detect. Our databases and breed signatures are being continually updated with new breeds and additional reference samples so that we can continue to provide our clients with the most accurate results. Currently, BITSA proudly maintains greater than 95% accuracy for all its test results.

How do I collect a sample?

BITSA uses the easiest and most comfortable sample collection method for your dog. The process is simple and owners can collect the sample themselves. Simply place the provided swab against the inside of the dog’s cheek and swirl in a circular motion, then put the swab in the tamper proof bag and send it away. There is no need for a vet and no stress for you or your dog.

When will I recieve my results and what will they explain?

Turn around time is as quick as 15 working days from the receipt of your dog’s sample. A BITSA report will be mailed to you outlining:

The breeds found in your dog’s ancestry

A history of how each breed was developed

A unique PAWS rating system summarising the traits you may observe in your dog

Health concerns affecting the breed or breeds found in your dog

Games and activities your furry friend will love to play

In addition to your BITSA report a certificate of DNA analysis will be included, explaining the breeds found in your dog, as well as a personalised ‘Doggy Passport’; a wallet sized card with a photograph of your dog and a list of your dog’s breeds. (Photographs are optional and only required if you would like to add a picture of your dog to the passport at no extra charge).

Can BITSA tell me if my dog is purebred?

BITSA cannot be used as a means of obtaining official papers nor can it serve as evidence of a pedigree dog.

What breeds can BITSA identify?

BITSA can currently identify 62 breeds, with additional breeds to be added and updated on a regular basis. Identifiable breeds as of January 2009 include:

Alaskan Malamute
    Golden Retriever
    American Staffordshire Terrier
    Great Dane
    Australian Cattle Dog
    Australian Shepherd
    Irish Setter
    Australian Stumpy Tailed Cattle Dog
    Italian Greyhound
    Australian Terrier
    Jack Russell Terrier
    Basset Hound
    Bichon Frise
    Labrador Retriever
    Border Collie
    Boston Terrier
    Neapolitan Mastiff
    British Bulldog
    Bull Mastiff
    Bull Terrier
    Poodle (Standard)
    Bull Terrier (Miniature)
    Poodle (Miniature)
    Cairn Terrier
    Poodle (Toy)
    Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    Chihuahua (Long-haired)
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Chihuahua (Short-haired)
    Chow Chow
    Scottish Terrier
    Cocker Spaniel
    Shih Tzu
    Curly Coated Retriever
    Shiba Inu
    Siberian Husky
    Silky Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Dogue de Bordeaux
    Tibetan Spaniel
    English Springer Spanielr
    Tenterfield Terrier
    Fox Terrier
    German Shepherd
    West Highland White Terrier
    German Shorthaired Pointer

What if my dog doesn’t look like the breeds reported?

We encourage our customers to understand that our Breed Signatures are based on the purest pedigree dogs, and thus a true BITSA (dogs with mixed breed parents and grandparents) may not exhibit the exact features of the breeds detected. It is also important to realise that primary breeds are the result of at least one pure bred dog being present at the parental level in your dog’s ancestry.
    Many canine traits are diluted with other characteristics. For example a primary German Shepherd and a secondary Golden Retriever may look very much like a German Shepherd, though with slight differences, such as a slightly longer coat, different shaped ears and a marginally warmer coloured coat.

Why doesn’t my dog have a breed for every generation?

It is important to understand that BITSA can only detect breeds that are present in a dog’s ancestry. Sometimes in a dog’s ancestry either one or both parents can be termed ‘outbred’ (dogs with mixed breed parents and grandparents). In this case a distinct breed signature is not present within a dog’s DNA. As the dog is heavily mixed, this may prevent a primary or secondary breed from being determined. There is also a possibility that a dog may be termed a 'True BITSA', a very unique dog that has so many minute traces of various breeds that they are truly one in a million, just like Dave of the Lort Smith Animal Hospital.
    If you find yourself going through hell; Don't stay. Just keep on going.

The days of sneaking a jack-whippet into a JR coursing contest might be about to come to an end.

I always did wonder about sneaky out crosses when the breeders could lie about a dog's parentage ie way back when there was no way to prove.

planet Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    "If we find that the DNA testing shows that these dogs are not a banned breed, then I certainly think that council needs to look very, very closely at any cost that's been incurred by the owners," he said.
    And what if it shows? the dogs will be PTS?
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

if owner does the test at their own cost and it says "pitbull" then the owner doesn't have to tell the council.

But the chances are very small. Hardly any true pitbulls in Oz.

Thread Information