Since this thread was started due to Sumo...I will put my 2 cents worth in.
Look...I did what I needed to do in MY position! Yes....I contacted rescue organisations and was ignored...yes, I tried to privately rehome him and it didn't work. Yes...I am quite ill and could no longer keep Sumo due to ongoing health reasons. Does that mean he should be killed on the spot though?!? If there was just a miniscule chance of him finding a new home...in my opinion...that is better than giving him the needle. That needle from me would have been final...definitive! Do I know if he passed the temp test...no I don't. Do I believe it was worth a try...HELL YES!
I don't really care if people think it was a coward thing to do...I did it to at least TRY and give him a second chance! I think just whacking a needle in them is a coward thing to do, but we are all different!
I find it somewhat disturbing that some people thought he would have been better of getting the needle from me! Sure I would have been there when he died, but that wouldn't have given him a second chance of life! I loved this dog and trust me...I was flip flopping between...pts...surrender...pts...surrender! I was thinking the same thing...I should be there when he dies! But then again...I thought he deserved to at least have a chance...however miniscule that was!
JJames...I honestly do not care what you think in this regard. I made this decision with my dog's life in mind! If he has been pts then unfortunately there is not much I can do about it now. I made this decision out of deep love for this dog. Is it breaking my heart that he might have been pts without me there...OH YES!
ANY chance of rehoming is better than NO chance in my opinion.