Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Lab X Boarder-collie

Pet rescue is a good place for finding rescues of all kinds of dogs, and all kinds of shelters. There are some vet practices that also list dogs/puppies and I'd consider asking around the local vets in your area if they know of any "accidents" looking for homes. It is unlikely you'd find exactly a dog like the one you had before. Where did you get him originally? Maybe there would be some more there. Otherwise, you should check out Pablo - that I and Emma linked.

Kennel cough is very common in places where lots of dogs live together, especially ones that have been rescued from bad conditions. It's a bit like a cold, most dogs get over it in a couple of weeks, and there are vaccinations to help prevent common strains. So I wouldn't let that put you off.

RSPCA / AWL usually have a kind of quarantine area for new dogs, though it's no guarantee. Both places, but especially AWL often have puppies that never get listed on the websites. It can be hard to tell what a puppy is before it grows up. Some litters have more than one father. So while the owners might know one of the fathers, they might have missed one. Not sure how a kelpie x and a bc x could be confused.

I find it hard to believe that the dog came from a rescue with worms, a place like that should be reported. Makes me wonder if it was really a puppy farm in disguise.

When you find something that looks promising - post a link here and we can check it for signs of dodginess if you like. Or ask the RSPCA to check the link if you want somewhere more independent.

Hi Spuddy. Good luck with finding your new best buddy.

Another good aspect of some shelters and reputable rescue groups is that they will temperament test, so you have an idea of who the dog really is before you take it home. Council pounds are a bit more of a gamble, it is what you see is what you get. But you can still get some gems from pounds, you just need to be really tough about picking what's best for you, not necessarily the saddest face.

Thanks for all your advice!! I actually went to the RSPCA yesterday to have a look.......fell in love with 2 boxer x labs!!! and a kelpie!!! So it did open my mind up to different breeds! They also said they would give me one for free because of what happened on Black Saturday! So i will definatly have them in mind in November

does anyone know much about the boxer x labs?? i know boxers have a short lifespan......but mixed with the lab would that change?? these 2 that i saw at the rspca were 13 months old and were adorable

Moggill, Queensland

With cross breeds, no one can tell you what to expect. They are literally a mixed bag

Spuddy I think you'll find that no one can correctly guess the temperament, lifespan or health of any crossbreed.

That's the whole point of the purebred. Being able to predict to an extent all of the above.

Good luck with whatever dog you choose. It's a very exciting time finding the dog that's right for you and your lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    does anyone know much about the boxer x labs?? i know boxers have a short lifespan......but mixed with the lab would that change?? these 2 that i saw at the rspca were 13 months old and were adorable

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    As the others have said about, there's no guarantee with a cross breed.

Just for information though, the expected lifespan of a breed is just a guide. For example, German Shephard have a life expectancy of about 10 years, mine was almost 16 years when she passed away. The Rottweiler is another example, expected lifespan 10 years, my breeder has had dogs that lived to 15 years. I'm not saying that this always happens, just that it is possible if the dog is given every opportunity to live a long life with proper feeding, vet care, and living a happy life.

North Brisbane

Another thing to think about Spuddy, the RSPCA adopts their pets out with insurance for a month I think.
    When we got our first kitten he was very quiet and didn't play at all and then started limping. We rang the RSPCA about it and they said to bring him back in to their vet. They kept him for a couple of nights until his temp went down and gave us antibiotics. They thought he had one of the cat flus. He is perfectly fine now and very healthy! So the RSPCA are great support when you get a pet from them and something goes wrong.

I am quite new to this forum, so please excuse me

I have had many many dogs over the past few years, have also fostered dogs and helped out at some Animal Shelters/rescues.

I would say if you could afford it, to get a purebred border collie. If not, keep an eye out in the paper for any or at the pounds, petrescue and the various other places.

At the end of the day, just do your research. I tend to do my research online more than IRL, so online pet rescues/pounds etc were a lifesaver to me (I have 3 kids) so before I got my current dog, I rejected well over quite a few hundred dogs online and saw over 30 dogs IRL before I finally got Lila (who is coincidentally a Lab x Border collie) from a normal person who had done mostly the right thing. His dog was in the backyard and he came round the corner when he saw another dog doing it. The owner guessed it was a purebred border collie (longhaired black & white), but wasn't 100% sure, but looking at Lila I can guess that. His dog was quite an old thing, had a wonderful outdoor couch it was currently on (trying to escape the puppies who were trying to attack it), the mother had weaned the puppies early, she didn't want to feed them anymore, so I got Lila just before her first injection was due, I paid enough for her to cover their shelter food etc, not enough for him to profit from. His dog was not desexed for medical reasons (he showed me the consultation notes from the local vets (whom I use and I double checked as to its authenticity) the family was him, his wife and their two elder kids, they spent most days when they weren't working, in the backyard. The puppies were happy, healthy, used to being handled, and were lap toilet trained (i.e. even though they were that young, they would not ever pee on your lap, no matter how long you held soon as you put one down, it would wander off the patio to the grass and do a pee, quite cute!) the yard was tidy (but not superly so, so you could tall that was how they "kept" it IYKWIM and they hadn't just tidied up for our visit, we also called and arranged to visit immediately, so nothing could be properly "hidden".

after this I spent the next 7 months doing a daily (sometimes twice daily) long search for a companion for her. Her companion (just knewly arrived) is a kelpiexborder collie given for free (along with a whole lot of his stuff) from a young sweet couple whose work visa was revoked, they have to return to the UK, so can't keep the puppy. I checked over all his paper work to make sure he had had all his shots, amongst other things, and I usually spend time patting the dog and looking at it playfully whilst I casually do conversation with the owner, off guard conversation, so to speak.

But I can attest to BYB and my loathness of them, should you buy from a BY accidental pregnancy, then suss out the owners, the local neighbourhood, look at the backayrd, where the mother sleeps, get a look at the mothers vaccination certificates (VERY important, so that you know the mother has passed the antibodies onto the babies) make sure they are not late for any shots, have been wormed, and are on good food. Ask how the mother got pregnant, keeping an eye on their face when they say it, make sure they charge no more than it would of cost to supply the puppy with its needs from birth, ask why the mother wasn't desexed.

I have had animals all my life, but in helping out at shelters have seen some terrible cases of neglect, also even during my adoption process, I found a lady who didn't believe in shots or chemicals going into her puppies...and they were sickly looking and COVERED with fleas, She said she used "homepathic remedies" a....

I have also had two tiny puppies die from parvo, due to my "must save the doggies" routine and not using my head. zConsequently our house/yard is now parvo positive, and we have to make absolutely sure that any dog that passes through these gates is at least 4 months and has had all their puppy shots.

It does not pay to not research

I wish you luck in searching for your new best friend hunny xxxxx

Thread Information