Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Lab X Boarder-collie

North Brisbane

Thread on BYB
    Another thread on BYB

I am 23 yrs old as well and have researched before deciding on a breeder for my puppy - if I hadn't found this breeder I would have just got a puppy from the RSPCA or an animal shelter.

Maybe you will find a lab x border collie at a shelter - the problem everyone has is that you are looking for a cross breed dog and unfortunately will be most likely supporting someone who continuously breeds for money without caring about the animals that rely on them.

There is no guarantee that a lab x border collie will be similar to your boy.
    I know that you miss him and love him but please consider finding a responsible breeder or helping a dog in a need.

Please read those threads as they will help you understand the previous responses and help you make an informed decision.
    Last edited by Krystal; 07-08-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: skipped a word!

I wanted a dog that was just like a friends dog, but that dog was a desexed cross breed with some ACD, from the pound.

So I figured, having lived with several ACDx that I would look for one of those, quite young from a shelter, so I visited RSPCA and AWL and their websites for a long time, looking for the right dog.

Eventually I went out to AWL - which is about 40km from where I live across town, and the dog I went out to see, wasn't there (or the right sex), but there were two ACDx puppies 10 weeks old that never made it onto the website, and I picked the friendly one of those.

If you're looking for a lab x bc or similar, go to the RSPCA / AWL or equivalent near where you live and pick a friendly dog or puppy from there.

The reason we don't like encouraging people to get a particular cross breed from a back yard breeder or petshop is because some of those dogs might find a good home but most of them end up at the Shelters and dog pounds because they didn't meet owner expectations. So if a cross breed is what you want, just go to the Shelter and give a deserving dog or puppy a fantastic home.

Why should you adopt a rescue animal? | PetRescue

Animal Details

And here he is in Victoria male lab x bc
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 07-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Queensland. Australia

Does he have to be a puppy ? What about a nice 2 year old ? Well trained good with other dogs and people. Desexed and vaccinated, cost $330.
    Pablo's profile at PetRescue - is he your new best friend?
    Keep looking, your dog is out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    """Yep i sure as hell have "understanding" for the welfare of dogs & not supporting a BYB is part of my compassion for dogs in general.

& i also understand how bloody inhumane & cruel it is to hit / abuse / neglect & abandon dogs as some owners do. I also understand how bloody inhumane & cruel it is to use dogs only for monetary gain such as byb's & puppy farmers do

Have some understanding then that im a 23 yr old who likes lab x boardercollies and i have no idea what BYB is!!!!!! so how can i be supporting it?????
    I certainly understand your reaction to some of the replies hence why a couple of us tried to explain the situation in a clearer manner

BYB = Back Yard Breeder = the majority do not health test,vaccinate,worm general only breeding for sheer profit or through sheer ignorance.
    Keep in mind though that being registered with the corresponding canine bodies does not automaticly ensure you of an ethical,reputable breeder either.
    Its all about homework in most cases
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Ok thank-you to the members who have explained things to me i appreciate it

I have a question tho..........if you shouldnt get a x breed from a back yard breeder and you shouldnt get one from a pet shop........then apart from a rescued one.....where can you get them??........

I have looked at puppies, infact we went and looked at a pet shop who regularly sells this breed and the living conditions for these puppies were terrible! and so i crossed that place off my list. I have also had contact with someone who does live on a farm and has some puppies and i see many cages etc etc and that put me off buying from there as well.
    So im not going to be buying from an irresponsible breeder.......chances are i would be buying from someone whos dog has got out and accidently got pregnant. I dont see this as being wrong or supporting cruelty to puppies ( i joined this forum because i love dogs.....)

And this is me doing my homework........i dont want to buy a puppy from a dodgy place which is why i put this question up.

Thank-you to thoes who have helped explain things to me

Well the idea is hopefully nowhere.

The more we buy even from people who's dog accidently got out the less inclined people are to do something about it which basically means de-sex any dog that is not a good example of it's breed and of which is only bred from if the purpose is to maintain or improve the breed.

If you like the Lab x BC mix you may very well like a purebred BC from show lines or a pure Lab.

But to be honest I doubt it would take all that long to track down a BC X in a shelter or rescue.

I own entire purebred dogs which I breed and show, should one of them get out and get pregnant I would have no hesitation in aborting the litter as there are far too many Whippet X's out there without me adding to them.

That may seem harsh or horrible but I prefer to think I was being responsible.

I'm not having a go, and I've got nothing against X Breeds. But where ever possible I promote purchasing purebred dogs from "responsible" registered breeders or if you're open to a mix breed searching throughout the many over populated pounds and rescues.

Its hard to know whether a place is truely dodgy or not sometimes. Alot of sugar coating/smoke and mirrors are used by both reg and bybs.

I would keep an eye on the pages, alot of pups/dogs there and chances are there will be a Xbreed of what your looking for.

Its not as if your wanting a teacup sausa-poodle dog to carry around in your Gucci purse. (made that name up, truely hope there isn't a xbreed like that) Your not seeking out a 'designer dog' so to speak therefore I don't see how you are supporting bybs or puppy farms.

Now that you have been informed about the potentional hazards of purchasing a new pup I trust you will be more savvy with it all. - we aren't born with that knowledge (which some people seem to forget) but hopefully you can pass it onto others if you need too.

side thought - Maybe even go for an actual visit to your local pound. You may just find your new buddy is waiting there for you.

Spuddy if you decide to buy from a backyard breeder, please look around and make sure you get a pup from a home that seems to really care about their dogs. The puppies should have had lots of human contact and handling, be fed a good diet, be wormed, vaccinated and have a nice warm place to sleep. The sleeping place should ideally be inside the house because anyone who really cares about puppies would never let them sleep outside in this cold weather. The reason I mentioned rescue pups in my first post is because I work in rescue and there are heaps of pups found dumped on a daily basis so you would likely find what you are looking for through a rescue group. The rescue pups are better value for money too because they're generally desexed, vaccinated and microchipped and you'll still pay less than you would at a pet shop or BYB.

Thanks for that - i definatly will check out rescue places......i was a little put off them because my grandparents wanted a dog from a rescue place and they said come back the next day because its getting desexed......they went back and the puppy had died. So they looked at another puppy which they said was a boardercollie and had been wormed, vacinated, desexed etc etc. When they took the puppy home it would hardly eat any food and was dragging its bottom along the they went to the vets and had to buy worming tablets......the vet said the dog had definatly not been wormed. Then it turns out that this dog is actually a kelpi x greyhound! They had also gone to another rescue place where they walked in about a metre and could hear all the dogs they left.
    So i have been put off rescue places......but will still take a look and see...........

And i also will definatly look at the living conditions and the type of people and whether they breed all the time or if this was a one off..........i care dearly for dogs and there is no way i would support ppl who are mis-treating them

Spuddy that's disappointing that you've had bad experiences with rescue. I guess like everything there are bad and good. Try to find a reputable rescue group in your area. With the puppy dying, it's fairly rare for puppies to die under anaesthetic, chances are that puppy would have had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic if it was put under at an older age anyway. It's unfortunate but that can happen to any dog.

Often when puppies are rescued they've never been wormed because they've come from a home where nobody cared about their welfare. The first worming treatment sometimes doesn't kill all the worms if they were badly affected so a second dose is required. Again, this could happen with any pup you buy unless it's come from a reputable breeder.

A lot of rescue groups don't have shelters, instead they foster all the pups/dogs out to foster carers in their own homes. This reduces the risk that the pup you get will have any health issues such as kennel cough. These pups will adjust better too because they've already been loved by a family and had experiences they need to have at certain stages during their growth.

You probably need to use your own judgement a bit when it comes to deciding whether a puppy is what you're told it is. You've owned the breed before so you would have a good idea about what the pup should look like.

Thread Information