Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Danes

Awww, beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by hippo View Post
    Ohhhh, fantastic dogs! Would love to have one one day but their life expectancy puts me off a bit... Crested I hope you don't mind me asking, how old did yours get?
    No problem... they were my parents but they won't mind me sharing.

Orion - 10 - Cardiomyopathy
    Olivia - 11 - unknown (went in her sleep old dear)
    Heidi - 10 - unknown (although we honestly think it had something to do with Olivias death - they were best friends)
    Johnny - 6 - Cardiomyopathy
    Walker - 9 - unknown
    Morgan - 9 - Possible poisoning

Kade - 3 - Still an evil pup!

The life span is a huge drawback - But if you buy from a healthy line you can expect a longer life. Cardio isn't as much of a problem these days but you still have to be careful with bloat which is hereditary.

Default Puppy ride

We have a magnificent Blue Merle, which I understand is one of those "unwanted" mutations, but ours is a loving mutt all the same - see the photo.

Merles happen all the time when breeding Harlequins, he looks like a sweetie Snakeman.

I have to be a debbie downer and comment though... please don't let your kid 'ride' the dog, that's a surefire way to give your dog back problems later in life!

Default Puppy riding...

Don't panic, we don't ride him all the time ... it was solely for the photo!
    But now that you mention it, I tell people "We let the kids ride the puppies and we kill about ten dogs a year..." - amazing that people believe my dog stories sometimes!
    All the best

Thread Information