Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please

Default Help Please

Hi
    We have a nearly 11 week old Chocolate Lab who is very energetic and I'm just after some suggestions on how we can discourage her from jumping up and biting our two kids who are 3 & almost 2. They love Chelsea to bits but my poor lil boy arms and legs are covered in scratches and bites. The kids love going outside to play but since Chelsea has arrived they aren't so keen. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

It is hard when they want to play with such little people. You can try giving the kids a spray bottle and helping them to give her a squirt at just the right time - ie as she jumps up at them.

It is important that they know that they only have to squirt at her when she is being silly, and not when she's being good.

If you don't see that working with such little kids you can try for a longer range water pistol and use it yourself! The great advantage of using water pistols is that it is so safe, and the pup doesn't necessarily see the connection between the correction and the people, she just comes to realise that jumping up or grabbing has an unpleasant outcome so she (hopefully!) stops doing it.

Thanks Nattylou will give it go. Will have to watch the kids closely as they will probably start using them on each other lol!

I made the mistake of getting a lab with my young son, far too energetic and my child was scared and afraid to go outside, she was rehomed with my sister. My son made the same mistake..he had two sons and got a lab...she was rehomed for the exact same reason despite puppy preschool. Both dogs had/have a wonderful life.
    I wish so much that both he and I had done our research before we got them as their needs and ours could not be met. I Also hope that in your case that this is different and you can supply all the exercise, training needed as well as seeing to the needs of your family. This can be done but takes organisation and maybe even separate areas for kids and dog outside as any time together with any dog needs constant supervision.

This is in no way a post against their breed, more a post of needing to meet needs of kids and pets.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thanks Di_dee1. When OH suggested getting a Lab I was a bit dubious as I had heard how energetic and full on they can be but, but alas OH had made his mind up. Just hope that we can find a happy medium.

Cheers Chelsea, let us know how you get on.

Di I'm hearing you, Labs are big boisterous pups, and are pups for at least two years. It is a big call having them with toddlers - like adding a big furry extra naughty child into the mix!

Chelsea it will depend on your pup and you guys how you all manage, just remember that pups are very like human kids. Then they are just like pain-in-the-butt teenagers for a while too! But we normally wouldn't trade them for the world (except for brief periods like when the kids fill up the house with mud or the pup eats the lounge...)

I am sure you can if you have the time and dedication that I or he didn't, lol.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Chelsea, IMO it doesn't matter at all what breed of dog you have - most puppies mouth. Simple. It is very normal behaviour.

I for one would not expect my kids at that age to take on the control of teaching the dog not to mouth. That is the responsibility of you and your partner.

There are various ways to curb mouthing - many actually, and I think there are loads of threads here about how to stop puppies mouthing/jumping up etc.

Having a puppy is like having another baby, IF you want the puppy to turn into a well-balanced and well-behaved/well-trained member of the family.
    It is all about what you put in.

Various well-known methods of stopping mouthing include the use of spray water bottles, clamping down on the puppy's mouth, offering treats and training at moment of instigated mouthing, look the list goes on and on.
    Choose the method that makes sense to you and one that you CAN monitor 24/7 and implement.

Cheers.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Devil's Advocate of course we don't expect a 3 and 2 year old to teach Chelsea not to mouth. I understand that puppies "play" I'm just looking for techniques so that puppy and kids can play together happily.

It was a suggestion to allow the kids to use the spray bottles. I think that would turn in a fun-free-for-all fight.

Are you present the entire time the kids are outside with the dog? If so, then any tried and tested method, if used consistently, should do the trick.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thread Information