Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adoption Advice Please

Default Adoption Advice Please

hi,

We have agreed as a family to get a dog, and for a whole host of reasons we have agreed on a rescue adoption.

We have been trawling the pet rescue website and we have two that have really caught our eye but which to choose.

To give you some background, we have 3 kids, 12, 9 and 6. My OH and I both run (I'm slow but steady). Our house has a fenced yard and we are close to dog parks etc. Basically we are active. I have had dogs before, but my OH hasn't since he was a kid.

We are looking at a staffy X something, or a border collie X some sort of terrier. the staffy is about 12 months old and the BCX is about 6 months.

I am quite looking forward to training together, and maybe even agility at a later date.

I know there is no rule of thumb but have you anything I can use to help make the decision. I have spoken to both rescue places. The dogs areboth dog friendly, have very rudimentary manners, can get excited and jump up, like kids, are still puppies so need boundaries and more training.

Any suggestions.

Thankyou for your help.

Why dont you go and met them both and see how you go

I think maybe you and your family should visit them both and see which one you get on best with and fits you guys just that little bit more..
    I think if your quite active border collie might be better suited?

That is the smart solution, but one is in Albury.

Looks like a road trip is in order.

thank for your feedback.

What state do you live in?

I am a bull breed person... there is no way i would have an un papered bull breed in most places due to BSL

www.cinspets.com.au
    I am doing Relay For Life in 2011, please contact me to make a donation

If a road trip is managable, OP, then I would definately do it. Go and see the dogs, you WILL know the answer in your heart once you meet them both and relate with them.

*Geez, that is...unless you can't choose then and get both*
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Just 1 more

I think it's great you've chosen to get a dog from rescue.

My strategy was to pick the friendly one. And it's important to take the whole family including the cat, and any other dogs the new one will have to fit in with, and if anyone doesn't like the new dog, or vice versa - keep looking.

Spend at least half an hour playing or being with the potential new family member. Try not to overwhelm the dog at first, start with one or two family members and build up. If the dog can't handle the whole tribe - even when taking turns, it's not the right dog, cos it would have to cope at home.

Do ask the people who are looking after the dog now, what kind of home they think would suit the dog. I got told my dog was loud at dinnertime and had a lot of "personality" and that hasn't changed at all, but I like these things about her.

This one has how to choose a rescue dog.
    ShelterDogs
    PickADog

This one has how to setup, prepare and look after your puppy / dog.
    Digital Dog Training Textbook | Dog Star Daily

Eddy is beautiful and sounds like he has a gorgeous temprement, but I agree, dont make a decision on the first visit. Good Luck.

This is the two we are looking at

Winnie -

Winifred (Winnie)'s profile at PetRescue - is she your new best friend?

or

Kobi

Kobi's profile at PetRescue - is he your new best friend?

I agree that this is probably a really dumb question, and we have to go and meet them.

I'm sorry if I have wasted your time, but I thought there might be pearls of wisdom that I could use. I am in NSW, and I don't know how BSL affects a rescue Staffy X. Will that be an issue with getting him registered with the council.

I travelled to Albury for my Staffy & had no problems at all re-registering her back in Victoria & that was only 6 weeks ago. Molly is a pure-bred but I cant see where that would make a difference, she is A British, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Information