Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy School Advice Please

Devonport, Tasmania

Smithy, I would compare it to other training schools offering programs, and see how it compares. If it still comes out far more expensive, I would ask them why they think their training school is better, and what can they offer you and your dogs more than others can?

I personally feel the longer an obedience course goes for the better. A short course doesn't always give great results for the average owner, whereas a longer course really can help you deal with so much.

If it was me, I'd be talking to them about your concerns, just as you have done here with us - their answers (or lack of) will tell you whether to go with them, or find somewhere else IYKWIM.

oh wow?? I'm a bit late with this.. but 250 per dogglet.. goodness..
    all the best with resolving this issue..

socialization is so important as everyone says..
    Dexta has done really well..our feedback now is he's a tad too friendly LOL's, but I'd rather that than a worse out come.

we have had a couple of tiffs, due to other dogs getting protective over their toys/owners.. unfortunately true staffy drive .. he'll never back down when attacked.

he's 18mnths now and we still practice constant socialization with him.

it's a weird thing though, I have noticed if he's around another dog who's toy/ object possessive he arks up.. i jump in and tell him to "leave it" that normally works, sometimes the good old leash comes out.
    but otherwise he shares with othe dogs if they aren't possessive??? it's weird how he switches personalities like this.

I think your maths is a bit screwy, Smithy

My class, $60 for 4 weeks. $15 a week x 12 is $180 not $250

Obedience club
    40 weeks (ie once a week for the whole year excluding december and january)
    is about $1.50 a class (some get washed out but you can go to the next one, they don't cut off) $1.50 * 12 is $18 and you get discounts for the second and subsequent dogs and family members.

The book I'm reading "the modern dog" does say that raising two siblings is harder than raising two unrelated puppies because of the competitive dynamic that has happened from birth for resources.

It is possible that a class run by professionals may produce results better than classes run by volunteers but in my experience, meeting people who have been to expensive short term classes - their dogs are still obnoxious. The price of training isn't what makes a difference. It's what you put into it that does.

Yeah my maths was completely wrong. Sorry about that. Yes, I think we shall ring and speak to them to see what they say about what we are saying on here.
    This competitiveness between them when they are playing is really concerning me also and it doesn't feel right to be letting them strip their teeth at other and snarl like they do. The rest of the time they are so loving with eachother. I do step in and seperate them when it gets too heavy but I think we need more guidance. I am so worried that we may be unknowingly creating more problems.
    We have discovered today, after having them 10 days that the female won't go out in the rain to the toilet and is going all over the tiles on our patio area. I stood out in the rain with her for ages but she wouldn't go and then I catch her on the patio twice!

So the stripping of teeth and the really ferocious snarling is normal? If that's the case I am delighted. I was just so worried that we would end up having to rehome one of them. You have put my mind at ease now. Thank you.

It depends on the dogs.

Listen and look for signs of distress, if they look like they're having fun, nobody is screaming or running to their tall human protectors, they're probably fine.

Frosty likes to put other dogs in the kill the antelope neck hold - but never hurts them. She also hangs off the cheek, ears, neck. There's lots of butt bumping and the hackles and teeth and sometimes growling is all happening but if neither dog is backing off or screaming or cowering, it's all good.

You can still set limits on how rough you think it should be, and with siblings, based on what I just read, I'd consider doing that. You could send Paul an email and ask him what he thinks is a good strategy for managing siblings.

Associate Professor Paul McGreevy - About the Faculty - The University of Sydney
    A Modern Dog's Life

We have solved our dilemma....we got a local trainer, a 'dog listener', to come to our house and she was amazing! She spent 4 hours with us and perhaps 30 - 45 minutes of that time she spent with the dogs. In that short time, the puppies were putty in her hands. She had them sitting, lying down, walking at her heel in short bursts both on and off their leads, it was nothing short of a miracle and I cannot recommend her highly enough.
    The week and a half prior (since we got the pups), we had caused so many problems and the pups were calling all the shots. It is so different having two puppies to train and we were very wet behind the ears and were creating more problems.
    After our training session, we have already got different dogs, it is truly amazing and we should have two very loving, obedient dogs at the end of it. They are no longer play fighting as if they want to kill eachother. They still play and it can get quite violent but it is getting less so. It may be because they know are realizing that they are not having to fight amongst themselves about who is the Alpha and are feeling more secure, knowing we are the two Alpha's.
    It is hard to follow because there is huge focus on lack of eye contact, not giving in to the dogs demands and giving attention on our terms, not theirs but it is working. Their hearing is no longer so selective, they are not jumping (well,they are getting there), they wait patiently for their food, they are not whimpering every time we leave the room for any length of time. yet they can come into the lounge (by invitation only) and we get great cuddles in the evenings while we watch TV. We have lots of training sessions in the day and they are now such willing pupils.
    It is a method that is working for us and we were so lucky to stumble across it (more good luck than good management on our part).
    So, hopefully, as far as I am concerned this is the end of this thread for me and thank you all for your advice. This is such a great forum.

Thread Information