Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish for Dogs

Belle, as I mentioned in the other thread I have used it to help stimulate appetites, the dogs love it, but I wouldnt feed it every day. I prefer to use kibble as their main feed, along with bones etc, so they keep their macleans smile!

I see the FfD has some nice chunks of fish in it, but really it's still a junk food for dogs, far cheaper to buy some nice fresh fish and add a little bit to your dogs' kibble. Just look at how much per kilo it works out at - for the same cost you could buy fresh salmon!

I only ever feed tinned to the skinnies to make them eat their kibble, or to old dogs that don't have any teeth left (still mixed with soaked kibble).

So, yes I keep a few tins of this and that handy, but try to avoid it.

In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    Belle, as I mentioned in the other thread I have used it to help stimulate appetites, the dogs love it, but I wouldnt feed it every day. I prefer to use kibble as their main feed, along with bones etc, so they keep their macleans smile!

I see the FfD has some nice chunks of fish in it, but really it's still a junk food for dogs, far cheaper to buy some nice fresh fish and add a little bit to your dogs' kibble. Just look at how much per kilo it works out at - for the same cost you could buy fresh salmon!

I only ever feed tinned to the skinnies to make them eat their kibble, or to old dogs that don't have any teeth left (still mixed with soaked kibble).

So, yes I keep a few tins of this and that handy, but try to avoid it.

Oh.... thanks.

Just a quick question, are any supermarket tin/can foods safe for dogs?

I also had the 'My Dog' brand food in mind. Just wanting to know if that is junk too?

Yeah, it's all junk IMO.
    *DA hides*

Fresh salmon? Where?

I am getting a bit worried......

Pipi won't eat her food and I just gave her a pigs ear and she won't dare touch it. The only time she has eaten was when I gave her some breaky which she didn't keep down.

I guess I think of all tinned food as junk food for dogs, but that's my opinion, I also have a couple of tins of My Dog and Nature's Gift in the cupboard too. Most tinned food has a lot of water in it, so it's really not great value compared to how much meat is in it!

But it's convenient, and on the occasion that I DO use it, I only put in enough to coat the kibble.

Go with what works for you and more importantly what works for your dogs!

In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    I guess I think of all tinned food as junk food for dogs, but that's my opinion, I also have a couple of tins of My Dog and Nature's Gift in the cupboard too. Most tinned food has a lot of water in it, so it's really not great value compared to how much meat is in it!

But it's convenient, and on the occasion that I DO use it, I only put in enough to coat the kibble.

Go with what works for you and more importantly what works for your dogs!
    Thanks GAG!

I have decided to purchase 1 tin of Fish for Dogs and if she doesn't like it, will try her on My Dog.

At least she is eating Supercoat.

Dogs can do well on the junk but those of us who want better for them prefer other foods.

All my previous dogs lived long and thrived on Pal...dry and wet and the odd raw.
    Now I believe these ones are really thriving with a better diet.
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 04-24-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    Dogs can do well on the junk but those of us who want better for them prefer other foods.
    Thanks again.

It is very confusing having to change their foods after feeding her on something she has been fed since she was a baby.

Teddy and Max are still eating Advance so I have them sorted.

I have bought the fish for dogs once before. I bought 2 cans and the first time I shared a can between both dogs in one hit and it caused Ollie to get really sick with diarrhea and vomiting.
    The other can, I gave 1 spoon each over 4 days and it was fine. I think sardines in spring water is healthier though because it doesn't have the jelly stuff in it and the oil which are just crude fats.

Quote Originally Posted by puggerup View Post
    I have bought the fish for dogs once before. I bought 2 cans and the first time I shared a can between both dogs in one hit and it caused Ollie to get really sick with diarrhea and vomiting.
    The other can, I gave 1 spoon each over 4 days and it was fine. I think sardines in spring water is healthier though because it doesn't have the jelly stuff in it and the oil which are just crude fats.
    Was it just Fish for Dogs that made him sick or has this happened with a few others?

Just wondering as Pipi is vomiting after eating Advance.

I am just going to be giving her a teapsoon a day as she gets a chicken neck for lunch and some Supercoat for breaky and Supercoat for dinner. The teaspoon of FfD is going to be fed with her dinner.

Thread Information