Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watching As We Eat???

Default Watching As We Eat???

Perhaps this should be in the training section...not sure BUT we are having issues with our food pirate puppy, otherwise known as Poppy.

We usually eat dinner on the couch and on previous occasions this has been fine. Poppy has understood she is NOT allowed on the couch when we are eating AND she does have a command that invites her onto the couch, its not a free for all!

For the past week, when we sit down to eat she has been trying her luck, jumping up onto the couch. We say DOWN and she immediately jumps down. Then she sits and STARES at us eating. Its like shes a little seagull waiting for us to throw her a chip!

Last night we had fish and chips for dinner and she did the same thing...THEN she put her front paws on my knees and tried to snatch a chip off my plate!!!

I told her NO DOWN and gave her a growl. She stopped and then just lay down under our feet.

How do I stop this? Should I be crating her when we eat?

Thanks everyone!

Yeah that's gotta be annoying Amy!

And as you've already acknowledged, totally unacceptable.

You could crate her so you can eat your dinner in peace, or you could train her to drop and stay in a certain area whilst you and OH eat your dinner. She is NOT to move from that spot whilst you are eating until you release her.

Treat this VERY FIRMLY in my opinion!!!

(On a side note though, can I come and eat at your place? I'd love to sit and eat dinner on the lounge once in my life. )

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Yeah that's gotta be annoying Amy!

And as you've already acknowledged, totally unacceptable.

You could crate her so you can eat your dinner in peace, or you could train her to drop and stay in a certain area whilst you and OH eat your dinner. She is NOT to move from that spot whilst you are eating until you release her.

Treat this VERY FIRMLY in my opinion!!!

(On a side note though, can I come and eat at your place? I'd love to sit and eat dinner on the lounge once in my life. )
    Perhaps I could train her to do into her crate when we eat? I know AGB's Batty does this. We have the crate next to the couch during the day and she happily goes in there for a snooze as she feels like it.

If I put her in it with a treat or a toy before we ate would this begin to teach her that when WE eat she goes in the crate?

She is SOOOOOOOOO food driven that it is VERY hard to train her to do something with our delicous dinner right in front of her nose. I feel like the crate would really help in terms of restricting her to one place.

She loves the crate and curls up in it everynight now. As soon as we move it into our bedroom she goes straight in like she knows its bedtime. She has been sleeping later too with NO accidents!

P.S - One day I promise you can come to my house and eat on the couch then have a sleep in Poppy's crate!

Well then that's what you should do IMO. A dog begging in front of you or snatching food, or even trying, is so not on.

Pop her in the crate. If she carries on once she sees you and OH eating, ignore her, and once you've finished dinner don't let her out of crate until she has completely calmed down and is quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Well then that's what you should do IMO. A dog begging in front of you or snatching food, or even trying, is so not on.

Pop her in the crate. If she carries on once she sees you and OH eating, ignore her, and once you've finished dinner don't let her out of crate until she has completely calmed down and is quiet.
    Thanks! Will do!

I agree it is SO not on!!! I couldnt believe it last night when she actually tried to take some food off MY plate!!! I was mid mouthful trying to say NO and DOWN and GRRR! She got the hit even if I did have a mouth full of food!

What sort of worries me is that it was another sign that she see's herself as the "boss" and not me! We have been working on that though and perhaps the crate will help with it even more!

Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    Thanks! Will do!

I agree it is SO not on!!! I couldnt believe it last night when she actually tried to take some food off MY plate!!! I was mid mouthful trying to say NO and DOWN and GRRR! She got the hit even if I did have a mouth full of food!

What sort of worries me is that it was another sign that she see's herself as the "boss" and not me! We have been working on that though and perhaps the crate will help with it even more!
    Possibly, but she's also prolly just a greedy guts. Mind you, the dog who knows that when you eat she waits queitly and will get hers later is usually not a dog who thinks it's boss in any way. So if you can achieve that, yes it will certainly help.

Best of luck. If a dog tried to take my food God help it, so I can understand.

We eat on laps in the loungeroom too. Most times the pups are outside but if they are in they have been trained to sit. We ignore them totally, do not feed scraps. They have figured out that nothing exciting happens and after a couple of minutes lie down or go and play with toys. If we have suitable scraps then they are given after our meal.

We tend to have as few rules as possible so it makes life as easy as possible for us all.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

You know what Amy I think you handled it perfectly. Must admit we eat in the lounge room and the dogs all have better manners when we do that than at the table because I've told the kids very firmly if they ever want to be able to eat in the lounge room they can NEVER give the dogs anything.

I told the kids to growl at the dogs grrrr. Deep like they mean it. And because they often eat their ice cream or desert in the lounge room they can do a good impression of a cranky dog that is not going to share. Their vegies at the table are another matter.

I can eat my tea with Mickey curled up on my lap, and the plate resting on his back. At the table however he will beg and look pathetic at you. That's because visitors cave into him (against my wishes) the kids will sneak their food to all the dogs, husband will give them the fat from the steak straight from his plate. And I'm guilty of passing them things straight from the kitchen counter as I prepare food.

But they have never got anything from in the lounge room. And all of us have been very diligent at sticking to it because you don't have that distance like you do when sitting at the table.

But if all else fails there is always the good ol crate. Got to love those things.

Good advice so far Amy, I too sit on the sofa to eat, I won't tolerate "mooching" from the dogs either. If I get the "stare" I just ignore it, and it's usually from the newbies, they give up after a while. If any jumps up to try to get on my lap they get pushed off the sofa, I don't even say anything most of the time, just give a gentle shove and don't look at them.

If crating works for you then do it!

In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

Thread Information