Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Urgent Help Needed.

Speech is finished! Here it is if you would like to have a read.

How to Groom a Dog
    How much money do you spend getting your dog groomed? $30, $40, $50 or more? Today I will demonstrate how to properly groom your dog.

Let’s get ready by gathering all the equipment we will need. Firstly, grab all your materials, these are: brushes, towels, nail clippers, cotton, special ear wash and shampoo.
    Keep in mind that you will need a brush which best suits your dog’s coat. The different types of brushes are: a Slicker Brush – this brush is used on long coated dogs, the Pin Brush – this brush is ideal for a dog with a curly, wavy, wiry or long coat.

The Zoom Groom brush which are also ideal for short or long haired coats and last of all the Bristle Brush – which is best used on short-coated dogs for everyday grooming and to remove surface dust and dirt.

If you have a dog that sheds, the FURminator Deshedding tool is the way to go. The FURminator has a unique blade designed to remove loose hair like no other. It removes undercoat hair from the dog leaving the shiny top coat intact and healthy.

Once you have all the equipment by hand, grab your dog and get started. To begin, brush your dog to get rid of excess and matted hair. When this is done, clean your dogs ears with cotton and ear wash.

After these two steps are completed, your dog is ready to be put in the bath. Soak him or her from head to toe with warm water using a hand held sprayer. Always test the temperature on your arm before spraying your dog.

Be sure to avoid the eyes and inside of the ears. Many dogs have water-resistant coats, so a thorough soaking is usually necessary to penetrate the hair of the coat.

Apply shampoo to your dog’s coat. Avoid the eyes and face. Use enough shampoo to create a lather. Apply small amounts of shampoo at a time to avoid using too much. Rub, scrub and massage your dog for several minutes. You can use your fingers to do so.

Your dog will probably enjoy this part. Remember to clean the feet too. Ideally, you should allow the shampoo to remain on your dog’s coat for several minutes before rinsing.

Apply a stream of warm water to your dog’s coat avoiding the eyes and ears. Thoroughly rinse all shampoo out of your dog’s coat. It is very important to remove all shampoo from the coat. Don’t forget to rinse the feet and any skin folds on your dog.

So you take your dog out of the bath and he or she is drenched, here’s a tip, stand back the second your dog is on the floor, as a few shakes are coming on. After your dog has a few good shakes, towel-dry any excess water from your dog’s coat.

Lay a towel on the ground and let your dog go for it. Many dogs will instinctively rub on the towel and continue to shake off the water. You are now ready for the next step, nail-clipping.

Most dogs don’t like having their claws trimmed. To avoid this, start clipping their nails at a young age. There are several types of nail trimmers, including a guillotine type and a scissors type. The guillotine type is the easiest to use on dogs.

The scissors-type is used to trim a dog’s nail that is so long that it is curling in a circle. Long claws can grow into the toe-pad. This most often happens to dew claws – the claw on the inner side of the paw.

Dew claws do not touch the ground so they are not worn down as the dog walks.
    Because the dew claw is attached to the leg by loose skin, it can usually be bent away from the leg so that you can fit a guillotine type trimmer over the tip of the dew claw.

The scissors-type cutter is placed at a right angle to the toenail. Hold the trimmer in the hand you are most comfortable with.
    Light coloured claws are easier to cut than dark claws as the blood vessels and nerves that supply the toenail, called the quick, is easier to see.

Cut the toenail within approximately 2 millimetres of the quick. Be careful not to cut into the quick, if you do, the dog will experience excruciating pain and the nail will bleed.

Light coloured paws can be cut with one cut per nail, on dark coloured paws several small cuts are required as you cannot see the quick.

After all these steps have been completed praise your dog for being well behaved.

Although grooming your own dog may take a bit more time than just leaving him or her at the groomers, doing it yourself is a great way to save money and for the two of you to bond more deeply. What could be better than that?

Please note: it is in posted on here in italic, should make it easier to read and to show that this is the speech.

I had to leave some lines between sentences/paragraphs as it would be all whack and hard to read..

Enjoy and let me know what you think

South Australia

Excellent Belle...........Im very impressed

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeTheDeedNotTheBreed View Post
    Excellent Belle...........Im very impressed
    Thanks! Had a little help from one of my dog books..

Did you forget treats?

Mind you, when I bath my dog, she doesn't get any treats. But for any dog that is a bit stressed or reluctant, a fave toy or load of treats would work well.

Are you going to read the speech or memorise it?

When I make informal speeches I tend to write out in dot points the structure I want to follow and make dot points of all the areas I want to cover and then adlib my descriptions which can be a bit interesting if I connect the dots in a different way to originally planned.

And I write out the conclusion, and practice reading that.

What ever I have as cues, I print out with big font, number all the pieces, try to make them palm sized, if I don't have a lecturn. If I'm reading, I "cheat" and use my finger to keep track of what line I'm at, even though I've printed the thing with bigger line spacing. When I pause for the Audience idea absorbtion, I look up and check to make sure they are still paying attention and the building is not on fire or whatever.

It's nice to ask questions through a speech because that engages the brains of your audience, but you also need to pause after a question or between points to allow a bit of time for a person to think about what you're saying and then be ready to pay attention to the next bit.

And it's good to finish with a "call to action" at the end. like "help save a lawn, wash your dog on it".

If you're brave, you can finish with "any questions". If you're not, you can verbally pass the ball back to your teacher. "Thank you and it's back to Mrs MakeSpeeches".

Toastmasters International - Technical Briefings

Toastmasters is all about learning to speak in public with confidence, or how to fake confidence till you make it, and also how to give contructive feedback on other's performance, and eventually, how to run an organisation of volunteers, which can be extrapolated to how to run a business...

I used to be really into it in ACT, and kind of never found a club in SA. One day maybe I will go back.

Thread Information