Thread: Curly Coat Retrievers

Default Curly Coat Retrievers

I was wondering if anyone out there knows where i can get a curly coated retriever puppy. It's now 3 months since losing our beloved liver curly Max. We miss him so and would love to get another.

Before you go into buying a Curly Coated Retriever,

could you please try a rescue shelter to see if they have any puppies in this breed?

I have been searching the net on all different websites and the rescue shelters but no luck, can anyone help

Found one in Aus!!!

Tag 30299 – Curly Coat Retriever – Male – 10 years – “Rex” –

Rex was surrendered to us because his owners were in a rental property that wouldn’t allow pets. He is very intelligent & he is familiar with some basic obedience commands. He has a fairly quiet nature & he is sweet & loving. He enjoys exercise & going for rides in the car. Rex qualifies for our Golden Oldies Program. He would suit a moderately active older household.
    Here is the link: The Australian Animal Protection Society (Keysborough Animal Shelter)

He is the 10th dog down.

I know he is 10 years old, but he honestly would be great to have! I would get him if I didn't already have three. But if you are not interested, never mind ..

Curly coats would not be frequent in shelters. They are not a numerically high breed in Australia.

There is an (as yet) unrecognised Australian Curly Coat - the Murray River Cury Coated Retriever - which has been around since the 1800s. Beautiful dogs but again, infrequent in rescue although I have seen them appear in pounds:

Murray River Curly Coated Retriever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raising Maple - A Murray River Curly Coated Retriever: Recent MRCCR meet

BEAUTIFUL dogs, similar in looks to both a regular Curly Coat and a Water Spaniel. They have these gorgeous green eyes when pups. They are still used as working dogs and the breed is maintained by very dedicated folks.
    Last edited by Nattylou; 04-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.

And thought I'd add a couple of pics for those who've never been lucky enough to see a MRCCR :

From 1893:

And a modern day shot:

hi all

Thanks so much, I have seen Rex on the net, but he is so far away as we are in Queensland and we do so want a younger dog. As for the Murray Curlies, they are cute but the Curly Coated Retrievers are a bigger dog and as we have had one before they have the best nature and temperament so we have opted to get another.

Good luck in your search.

Just google curly coated retriever breeders in Australia and look for the DOL link.

Must say though when I was showing in the gun dog ring we did not see many of them. Breeders will send interstate so don't dismiss just because they are in a different state. Make sure you are comfortable with the breeder and they carry out any necessary health testing and screening required for the CCR.

I worked in very large kennels and we only had one that came in, a regular. Quiet girl, very sweet.

There are currently two litters on the ground at the moment (thru DOL), other breeders may have litters planned. I would contact more than just the few advertised and see who you are most comfortable with.
    Last edited by mouseandchicken; 04-21-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Thread Information