Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Microchip and Tattooing

i asked the vet nurse to get the vet to tattoo roxy's ear while she was under for an xray yesterday (forgot to ask the vet and he was alreay seeing a new patient so couldnt go back in and ask him)
    Well the nurse went on about how ridiculous tattooing is and how unessessary it is, because roxy is registered it will show on her registration form that she is desexed and because all pounds and vets have scanners they would just check for a MC.
    She said the vet wouldnt do it. She was not a happy camer-obviously not pro tattooing!lol
    If there is no unessesary pain for the pet then it should be the owners choice wether to have it or not!
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Quote Originally Posted by macca691 View Post
    i asked the vet nurse to get the vet to tattoo roxy's ear while she was under for an xray yesterday (forgot to ask the vet and he was alreay seeing a new patient so couldnt go back in and ask him)
    Well the nurse went on about how ridiculous tattooing is and how unessessary it is, because roxy is registered it will show on her registration form that she is desexed and because all pounds and vets have scanners they would just check for a MC.
    She said the vet wouldnt do it. She was not a happy camer-obviously not pro tattooing!lol
    If there is no unessesary pain for the pet then it should be the owners choice wether to have it or not!
    IMO I would argue the point about this. It is entirely your choice as to whether or not you want your dogs ear tattooed! Your pup is having an operation on monday? If so when signing the consent form.........discuss it with the vet nurse. Explain that if they will not do it you may need to go elsewhere.

It may just shut her up long enough to let you consent to it being done.

Obviously this would just be a bluff as Im sure you would not like to have to change vets during such a time.

Best of luck for monday Macca

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeTheDeedNotTheBreed View Post
    IMO I would argue the point about this. It is entirely your choice as to whether or not you want your dogs ear tattooed! Your pup is having an operation on monday? If so when signing the consent form.........discuss it with the vet nurse. Explain that if they will not do it you may need to go elsewhere.

It may just shut her up long enough to let you consent to it being done.

Obviously this would just be a bluff as Im sure you would not like to have to change vets during such a time.

Best of luck for monday Macca
    Thanks Mate! Yes will let the vet know that i want it done. Do you think if he said they dont have the tools anymore to do do you think that would be truth or does every vet have the tools and knowledge to do it?
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Thanks Mate! Yes will let the vet know that i want it done. Do you think if he said they dont have the tools anymore to do do you think that would be truth or does every vet have the tools and knowledge to do it?
    Hmmm I have no idea. I have always thought it was common practice for all vets.......as common as desexing anyway

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeTheDeedNotTheBreed View Post
    Hmmm I have no idea. I have always thought it was common practice for all vets.......as common as desexing anyway
    Ok, the vet is in his late 60's i would say, so surely if it was a common thing before MC'ing then he would be able to do it. To be honest i had never heard of it until this thread got started.
    I'll let you know how i go on Mon.

Ok, the vet is in his late 60's i would say, so surely if it was a common thing before MC'ing then he would be able to do it. To be honest i had never heard of it until this thread got started.
    I'll let you know how i go on Mon.
    best of luck especially with the op!

They would have the tools, little veterinary practices here in Albury have the tools.

If they say they don't - it would sound like a complete lie to me.

And surely they would have the knowledge, they wouldn't be a vet with a wide variety of knowledge if they never learnt that.

My mums aunt has been a vet since the 60s too and she had to go and learn how to do the tattooing. I asked her earlier when she was visiting and she said that all vets should know about this and if they don't, pick someone else.

All the best for Monday.

I don't think a vet in NSW would be qualified to make an assumption about a vet in WA, iykwim.

Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post
    I don't think a vet in NSW would be qualified to make an assumption about a vet in WA, iykwim.
    Oh sorry... but who is from WA? macca691 is from NSW.

Its so dissapointing to find a lost dog without a MC.

Natty, its so rare that a chip will move, you must have had that small percent of a chance that it will move
    Otherwise, personally, there is absolutely no reason to not get your dog chipped. Its cheap, quick and safer for your dog.

Both my dogs are tatooed aswell. I mean, why not.
    Education not Legislation

Thread Information