Thread: Biting

Default Biting

Banjo is starting to drive me a little nuts.
    At first he would give me little playful nips when i moved around. I would tell him to stop and he would.
    Now he is starting to do it even more and harder and is growling and to be honest its starting to really hurt and scare me a little. He has even got my face a couple of times.
    The only time he doesnt do it when im walking etc is when my partner is around and he never bites him anytime. .
    My partner is starting to think I am lying about his behavour lol
    I am trying to be firm. I tell him to sit and give him a pat when he does but as i put my hand down he just bites it.
    He has ripped about 15 pairs of my stockings already!
    I am trying to set boundries but they dont seem to be working as he thinks its all a game.
    Does he think my partner is the pack leader and he is second in charge and I am at the bottom?
    I took him to training on Wednsday only to find out it was the wrong day so signed up but first lesson starts tuesday. In the meantime how do I stop him from biting and being agressive to me?

Do a search on "biting". There's been a few threads on this issue.

Pleased you are going for help, J&B, hope it is indeed of help, there is something wrong with how you are handling this dog, a dog only does what he is allowed to do.

Not all training should be positive, a dog in the home must learn what a dog in the wild does, THE BOSS DOES NOT COP CRAP
    Good luck M&M

Devonport, Tasmania

There are a number of ways that ppl have success in training a dog not to mouth or bite. Every way is individual, and what works for some doesn't work for others.

The good old trsuty water spray bottle works a treat. Most dogs, even those who love water, sure don't like a squirt near their face coming from no-where. Stops them in their tracks. Sure, I haven't always used this method - it is usually the one I use as a last extreme.

You can try saying a firm 'no', but I think by this stage your dog is maybe a little too far gone with this behaviour set in? Forgive me if I'm wrong, that's just how it's reading to me.

You can try clamping the dogs mouth together and pushing his upper lip into his mouth. That pushes them over the teeth and it is very unpleasant for the dog. Obviously, you have to be firm and strong to do this, and can't have any feeling of wariness or fear.

One method I have been using with Logan (who is a mouther, almost completely gone now!) is the sit, drop, stay every time she mouthed. She got so ruddy bored it didn't take long for her to realise that the moputhing means lie down in total solitude and boredom!
    Once she was allowed back up, if she did it again, I'd put her back into sit, drop, stay. Yep, over and over. She is REALLY getting the message with this. Perhaps you could try it if your dog has some obedience training?

I had the same problem with Teddy.

A few ways worked for me:

No.1) Spray bottles! Give him a squirt each time he nips or bites you.
    No.2) Pinch him on the back of the neck, this shouldn't hurt him too much as their mothers carry them there as youngings.

There are many more out there. Either Google "biting" or search it on the forum.

I had (and am having) a similar problem with rocky. As DA said every dog is an individual and what works for some doesnt work for others.

what DIDNT work for me was pinching or holding onto the skin on his neck... this would make it worse... Its as if I was saying ok I'm challenging you, and he was saying challenge accepted

what HAS worked for me is that whenever he starts to bite he gets told NO or UH UH! and then he gets ignored (walk away, busy yourself with something else) then after a minute or so go back and pat and praise, and just repeat.

I didnt use the spray bottle for biting, but im guessing that that would be quite effective as well.

Sometimes (from what I've gathered) this biting thing is a way of them trying to establish dominance, so its one of those things where you have to make it clear that youre leader.

Hope it gets better soon though, I know how frustrating it can be

Rural NSW

Belle, I never saw Pretty carry her pups at all lol.
    The way that she disciplines them (still, today) is clenching them around the muzzle and a growl sometimes so I have continued this to great effect.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thread Information