Thread: Please Help, Moved House & Toilet Training.

Default Please Help, Moved House & Toilet Training.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I am so glad I have found this forum. I have a 20 month old english staffi X american staffi x kelpie. She is the love of my life! Lola is predominantly an inside pet. We have recently moved from a house where the back door is always open and she can go to the toilet whenever she wants to a house where that is impossible. I keep her in a huge empty workshop during the day with lots of toys and treats while I am at work and she doesn't go to the toilet in there at all but every morning I wake to fine at least 3 messes in the house, of course always on the carpet. She never asks to be let out, even in the day time, I just take her out every few hours. How do I train her to let me know when she needs to go out and how do I get her to not use the house as a toilet during the night? I don't mind if she wakes me for night time toilet breaks!

Thank you anyone for your help!

A large breed 20mth old dog should be able to hold on during the night. I think you may just need limit her space of a night until she adjusts, go back to some basics (if your not already doing so) and take her to the toilet before bed etc.

Thanks mouseandchicken. I have gone back to basics, but I think the main problem is that she hasn't ever needed to let me know when she needs to go outside. Are there any ways to train her to let me know when she needs to go to the toilet? Almost every time I take her out she goes, but never lets me know that she needs to, weather it be day time or night time.

hey assilems1,
    how have you been going at your new house, any progression?
    We are going to have this problem in a couple of months as we are looking to move, but at the moment they can go out whenever they like.

Would love to hear about anything that has worked for you.

I have always found that the more they can wander about, the more trouble they have holding on. If they're having toilet problems during the night it's easiest to make that sleep time, just as you would with human children.

Crates are best for this. Just like you'd want a child to stay in their bed for the night and not wander the house getting up to mischief, a crate trains a dog that night-time is sleep time and they must go to bed and stay there.

Some people seem to think it's somehow mean to shut a dog in a crate for the night. But dogs seem to prove otherwise. They quickly treat a crate as their own little den, and most frequent theirs all the time even when the door is left open.

Thread Information