Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More SPRV Rescues

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Yep
    The whole eye is going as vet doesn't think a tuck will be enough to stop the continued trauma and infections,she doesn't have sight now in that eye so it shouldn't be a drama for her ( for me is another matter ) and she will then hopefully be pain free for good

edit to add -Karli doesn't look that little ! oohh a little pocket rocket! She really is quite lovely.
    Got to say that having one eye doesn't seem to effect Charlotte at all .....except today when OH thought he would put her in the pool area for a moment to play musical yards.....Yup one minute she was there, next minute she was in the drink!
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

Great Pei photos. Lovely bunch and look so cuddly!

Damn, I can't pick one that I like best, I'm going from one to the other,...that one, no that one, ooh no THAT one!

So I piiiick...........................ALL OF THEM!!

In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Floyd View Post
    aww what a gorgeous group of lucky Pei's..

SHAR.. please forgive my ignorance, i'm not up to speed on every breed of dog, are the eye problems a hereditary issue in Pei's, does every Pei need the eye surgery & is it also from bad breeding practices, eg non testing of hereditary diseases before breeding etc???
    About 1 in 3 have needed entropion in Victoria this year. Other states seem to have better statistics for some reason that I can't fathom. The need for the surgery stems from the rolls (which is caused be excess mucus under the skin. Sometimes their eye lids roll around so far that the eye lashes rub against the eye ball hence the need to whip off a bit of skin. The original Chinese Pei didn't need this surgery, in fact they were very hardy dogs. The introduction of the pei into the USA in the 50's menat they were bred for the meatier rollier look, hence the issues that came along with that. A registered breeder is not supposed to breed those with entropion as it certainly can be passed down. BYB probably don't even know this *sigh* and even some reg breeders keep breeding from those effected.

This is a big reason why I get so many through rescue. They hit that 12 month mark and need $1200 surgery and by that stage, some owners are over the dog, and they march them off to the pound, or call SPR.

Sad but true. Pei are one breed that are way too often bought on impluse without the extensive research needed to ensure one can afford to be a reponsible owner.
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    Damn, I can't pick one that I like best, I'm going from one to the other,...that one, no that one, ooh no THAT one!

So I piiiick...........................ALL OF THEM!!
    Right....I have it in writing, booking their airline tickets first thing in the morning!!!

aww big thank you Shar, for educating me a bit more about Pei's...

It's absolutely bloody disgusting that breeders are allowed to breed just for appearances & not for betterment of health, temperament etc of any breed.

aw Shar... There are definately some adorable dogs coming through SPRV At the moment...

Charlotte is gorgeous and I love Yoshi's Tail and Mattrix is a stunner...

Did Aunty Sharna fall in love with Yoshi???? I think she is another Pei convert... LOL
    Dogs Aren't Our Whole Lives, But They Make Our Lives Whole

And here is Mojo.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

aawww

Hey Cat FANTASTIC Siggi!!

Thread Information