Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General Fear

I would think it a positive that he's going to you - at least he won't take off and try to escape/disappear when he's frightened.

As for your last question, James isn't scared of much in terms of noises. Being a summer puppy and the location of his breeder, he spent his first 8 weeks amidst severe thunderstorms. I remember one time we went to visit and it was thundering out and the pups could not have cared less.

He's likes to follow the vacuum when it's on. Same deal with the shredder - he'll happily sit and watch it. A fire engine was turning in front of us in the car this morning and he just sat up and watched it curiously.

The one thing I've seen him scared of is our doorbell - a cowbell. It's currently sitting on the deck as it's missing a bolt and everytime he sees it he gives it its distance and barks and growls at it. I don't think he's even ever heard it ring - something about it just bothers him :P

Might give the smoke alarm a try to see what happens.

Default crazy fears

My understanding is that Batty's behaviour is entirely normal. Batty is seeking protection from you against the perceived threat (the smoke alarm).

I've just started looking after a small terrier (Jilly) for two months whilst the owners are overseas. Today, I discovered she has a significant fear of blowflies and Jilly's reaction is the same as Batty's. She runs away from the blowflies and seeks me out for protection. But if one of the flies came into the room where I was, she would run elsewhere to gain greater distance from the 'perceived' threat.

Whilst the behaviour is a normal reaction, it might not be one you want and it's certainly not one my owners want for a dog living in Australia (imagine how Jilly reacts at the summer BBQs).

To overcome this, you might want to make a recording of the smoke alarm (maybe on a cassette, computer or mp3 player). When you have Batty nice and calm, start playing the recording at low volume in another room. At the same time offer Batty her favourite treats, pats and affection to encourage her to ignore the sound and keep her calm. Gradually encourage Batty closer to the sound with the treats whilst watching her reaction. If she starts to get too scared back off a bit. Repeat this training gradually increasing the intensity each time, e.g, higher volume on the recording, closer to the recording.

Thread Information