Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pom with Sore Leg/s

SM where are you (which state)? And how far are you willing to go for a surgery?

Hi Sm,

Have PM'd you

B

Billy, I am sending you a PM. Please check it.

Thanks Fedra!

If you are prepared to travel to Sydney Todd from Animal Tracks at Homebush is an experienced surgeon and highly recomended for patella surgery.

02 9764 6066 and mention Denise from Paws has recommended you call them.

Your Bub will probably need a day or so recovery and this can be arranged at Animal Tracks also.

If you are looking for someone on the Central Coast please let me know asap.

Best wishes,

B

Hi,

Just thought I'd touch base to thank everyone for their offers of help and assistance. We hit crisis and had to act quickly. Holly's leg got rapidly worse, and we'd been to three vets - non of which, when asked, could recommend an orthopedic vet for the operation and I couldn't find one quick enough. We trailed into week 4 of this knee dislocating and Holly just became so dispondent and clearly things were going rapidly down hill and I was concerned we were losing her then. We found a fouth vet. Walked in, he picked her up, gave her a cuddle and spent about 10 minutes just being with her and asking some general questions. He may have not been an expert, but he was a veterinary surgeon and was the first that actually took time to comfort her and talk to us. So he operated for us the next morning - today.

The poor little mite is fine. Not very happy about being confined and perhaps we are overdoing the confinement, but I'd rather be safe than sorry....for her sake. The best news is that the vet said the surgery was 100% sucessful, he's already manipulate the knee and said it didn't dislocate and he is very pleased with the outcome and confident that with the exception of a trauma injury it will be fine (thankfully). I'm very relieved (I have lost a dog - years ago, after an operation because it couldn't take the anaesthetic - the vet then said that the dog must have had something wrong with it's heart ----never the less this has remained with me ever since --- so I didn't fare too well throughout the day and last night was simply painful...sniff sniff).

Brilliant news though...She's fine. My daughter's done a little video thing with her web cam and I'm trying to workout if I can put it on somewhere and you can see the poor little sweetie. You should have seen the look on her face when I handed her over to the vet nurse! She got a certificate for bravery though. I think they should have given me one - I know I aged 10 or so years today - so much for wrinkle cream.

Thanks for all your support and advice. We go back on Monday, have the cast removed, go back 7 days later and have the stitches removed and she's not to do anything much for 4 - 6 weeks. I could do with doing nothing much for 4 - 6 weeks...then in 6 months, unless it deteriorates faster, we go back and do the left knee....then (because I've always been too scared to put her under anaesthetic to get it done earlier, but know now that she'll be okay) we'll get her desexed next year. I'm a sook. I know. I couldn't bare the thought of losing her under anaesthetic so put up with cleaning up after her. We didn't have to worry about males because she's always with us - she lives inside and is with us when we go walkies.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all your support and offers of help. Thankfully, it appears to have worked out well.

Heidi.

That is really great news !! A good knowledgeable Careing Vet is so hard to find..

I wish Holly good health for the future !
    Last edited by mitte; 02-13-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Great news SM!!! Hope she recovers fast! And you as well, as I can only imagine what you went through!
    As for the anesthesia, it is highly recommended you do check up (heart, lungs... EKG) before surgery, so if you can ask your vet, I am sure he'll do it, or will recommend somebody.

Just thought I'd further update you. Holly's a wonderful little girl. She's been so great. She's normally awful with any medication but has been very compliant and has been the ideal patient. Holly had her cast removed on Monday and licked the wound a little, but that was all. She's been such a little trouper. I felt so sad for her - it must be very painful and, well, you know mums who fuss and worry....so I've been taking her for a couple drives and carries. She loves it - we've gone to a local lake and watched the birds and had a look around (I carry her of course). I think it helped to 'perk' her up and I swear she came home with a smile on her face. Our fur family includes two rather big fluffy cats. Holly likes to play hide and seek and chasings with one of them - they have a ball. She tried it this morning. Of course I stopped it real quick. Next Monday she gets her stitches removed and we start physio, though she's been testing her leg every now and then.

Thanks again for advice and offers of assistance. It was really nice to be able to call for help.

Heidi
    Last edited by Shadowmum; 02-18-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

Oh i am so very happy for you all!!

Congratulations and what a gorgeous Mum you are! Things could not have gone better and i am so very happy you have found such an outstanding vet...what a star and yes not easy to find....hold onto him SM!

Holly is so very lucky to have such an adoring family who cherish her and her quality of life. I have no doubt she will be up and about in no time, pain free, fully mobile and surrounded by love!

You have made my day truly, and i commend you in every way. I wish all dog owners were as devoted and compassionate as you!

B

Oh Billy that was very sweet of you to say. You need to meet Holly - it's easy she's just so sweet and adorable it's impossible not to want to cotton wool her and do everything we can. I'm very passionate and serious about committment to my family.

You'd made my day too - it's given me a lovely spark and feeling to start my weekend. Thank you

Heidi

Thread Information