Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Did You Feel Comfortable Letting Your Puppy Off the Lead?

Default When Did You Feel Comfortable Letting Your Puppy Off the Lead?

Hi Guys,
    me and my partner have a pug x jack russell he is now close to 7 months old. We have been taking him to an open dog park so obviously all the dogs are running of the lead.
    Im so hesitant to let him off because im scared he won't come back!! I find he answers to his name in a home situation but what if he doesn't when he is let of the lead in an open area?

just thought i would ask when did everybody else feel comfortable letting there puppies of the lead?

Quote Originally Posted by mellac View Post
    Hi Guys,
    me and my partner have a pug x jack russell he is now close to 7 months old. We have been taking him to an open dog park so obviously all the dogs are running of the lead.
    Im so hesitant to let him off because im scared he won't come back!! I find he answers to his name in a home situation but what if he doesn't when he is let of the lead in an open area?

just thought i would ask when did everybody else feel comfortable letting there puppies of the lead?
    I own 3 Staffordshire Bull Terriers and they are not allowed off lead...not so much because I don't trust them, but more due to the general publics ignorance towards my breed.

Hi Guys,
    Hi Mellac,

The highlighted part is your answer - DON'T.

If you are afraid he won't come back, then he probably won't. I feel very strongly about this and it peeves me off to no end when owners let their dogs off-leash and DO NOT HAVE CONTROL over them at all.

Until you have undergone successfully full recall training with your dog, and are certain that he will return to you the moment he is called under ANY circumstance, you should not be in public with your dog off the leash anywhere.
    Cheers.

It would be a good idea to teach you little guy to recall before you try offlead in a public, when you know that if you call him he will come back then he can go offlead.
    Thats what I do with my guys. If I a)dont trust the other dogs around, or b)dont rust them to come back if I call, I do not let them off

Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

Thanks Guys. I think i will wait a little longer before letting him off . Especially when he is with other dog as he seems to get carried away and over excited as he loves playing haha I just don't think he would come back if he was in that mode of playing!

Thanks Guys. I think i will wait a little longer before letting him off . Especially when he is with other dog as he seems to get carried away and over excited as he loves playing haha I just don't think he would come back if he was in that mode of playing!
    thats why you do the recall training. It id the first thing I do with ALL my pups If you need some help let me know.

Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

Really...he must have total reliable recall before you do it in a public place. The thing is...you might be able to trust him, but you can not trust other people and/or their dogs to do the right thing.....just keep that in mind

Yes please. help would be greatly appreciated as i have no idea what to do

agreed cleasanta. Do have to watch the other dogs around somtimes as they are much older then him aswell

i dont let mine off anymore because i cant trust her to not be over protective and go for other dogs. however she is allowed off when my oh is with us because she is not protective when he's there (she thinks he will protect me) she does a completly focused heel off the lead when he is there..stupid mut why wont she do this with me instead of being all "she's mine no one come near!!"

Thread Information