Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expressing Anal Glands

Default Expressing Anal Glands

I always decline having a go at work. In fact, I always decline even watching! I know how to do it but never have. Now unfortunately Lady needs it done. I want to do it myself for the first time but im too scared. I told everyone at work that I was scared and they laughed, but I was being serious!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has done it/see it done before.
    Education not Legislation

How do you do it? I don't even plan on trying it myself, ugh, but just curious?

Come on Myf, it's so easy you'll be standing there thinking "God, is that it?"

Unless you squirt it onto your face. That's not nice. Do NOT laugh.

Use your first finger and your thumb. By the way make sure your nails are short. Self-explanatory but ya never know. Lol.

Another by the way, lift the tail up as much as you can. It helps the glands to come forward, kind like - pop out more, which makes it MUCH easier.
    Put finger and thumb on either side of anus, push in and up and another by the way, um, would be best to have some gauze in place. Or even a t-towel/pper towelling etc. You get the drift. And just in case - keep your mouth closed.
    Hope that helps.
    You ever had a pimple? This is much easier as usually by the time the dog is uncomfortable from it, the liquid is more than ready to express itself.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    I always decline having a go at work. In fact, I always decline even watching! I know how to do it but never have. Now unfortunately Lady needs it done. I want to do it myself for the first time but im too scared. I told everyone at work that I was scared and they laughed, but I was being serious!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has done it/see it done before.
    Ralph had to have his done about 5 weeks back. The vet gently inserted digit and and with thumb on outer, felt for the two anal sacs and gave them a little massage. We were awaiting the foul smell, but that didn't happen, she then told us to take Ralph out to do a poo, which he did. He was check a week later and the anal sacs were no longer swollen!
    To Ralph I think it was a bit like having his temperature taken! Same reaction.

And of course you would already know that if it starts to happen regularly you really need to increase Lady's fibre in her diet.

Ugh, ugh and double ugh. Gross. I'd still like to become a vet nurse.... Oh! OT, My groomer friend has just started up her business again, and wants me to help!! So pretty soon I will have a job doing soemthing with dogs!!

Urgh?

Well it's far better than having to extract semen from a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerini View Post
    Ugh, ugh and double ugh. Gross. I'd still like to become a vet nurse.... Oh! OT, My groomer friend has just started up her business again, and wants me to help!! So pretty soon I will have a job doing soemthing with dogs!!
    It is less gross that babies soiling their nappies! And since dogs can't do it for themselves once the glands are impacted, it must be done. All part of owning a dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Urgh?

Well it's far better than having to extract semen from a dog!
    Well, DA, Im gonna have to agree with you there!

Thread Information