Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Teach Her to POO Outside??

I am the same with Jodi and Bandit. They are not in unless I watch them. I find their cues are sniffing at the carpet out in the room behind me so I am extra vigilant if they wander out there (good view, through double sliding doors) otherwise they are outside.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Batty's tail kinks when he needs to poop...

He's started finally making noise at the back door when he needs to go out again

You know I don't put so much pressure on the puppies.

If I'm prepared to watch them they are in the house, door open. If they go outside, even of their own accord the door is closed.

We want puppies to be able to pee and poo on cue. Nobody could make me poo on cue.

When we wait outside for puppy to go pee remember that puppy is usually exercising, running around sniffing, etc. This gets their bowels moving but not right this second and often not on cue. I'm not saying it's not possible but they are puppies. So they come inside and oops now I need to go right now.

I feed the puppies outside and they don't come back in for about 1/2hr.

I'm lucky that we have a nice verandah with an outdoor setting and of a weekend or if we have visitors we shall often sit out there, watch all the dogs etc (as Greys can attest to).

Toilet training then seems to come naturally to the puppies because there is more opportunity for the dogs to go to the toilet outside naturally.

By moving myself into their environment I believe the toilet training comes easily and naturally and a lot less stressful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    You know I don't put so much pressure on the puppies.

If I'm prepared to watch them they are in the house, door open. If they go outside, even of their own accord the door is closed.

We want puppies to be able to pee and poo on cue. Nobody could make me poo on cue.

When we wait outside for puppy to go pee remember that puppy is usually exercising, running around sniffing, etc. This gets their bowels moving but not right this second and often not on cue. I'm not saying it's not possible but they are puppies. So they come inside and oops now I need to go right now.

I feed the puppies outside and they don't come back in for about 1/2hr.

I'm lucky that we have a nice verandah with an outdoor setting and of a weekend or if we have visitors we shall often sit out there, watch all the dogs etc (as Greys can attest to).

Toilet training then seems to come naturally to the puppies because there is more opportunity for the dogs to go to the toilet outside naturally.

By moving myself into their environment I believe the toilet training comes easily and naturally and a lot less stressful as well.
    Totally agree.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

well put MAC.

I get very tired of saying that if a dog has an accident inside, it's OUR fault, not theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    well put MAC.

I get very tired of saying that if a dog has an accident inside, it's OUR fault, not theirs.
    Agreed completely!

Update: Max seems to be getting better (or should that be "I" am getting better!)

The last few nights if he's needed to wee, he's done it on his toilet mat in the laundry and we've had no over night poo's for quite a few nights.

We have had one inside mishap in the past 4 or 5 days and that was my fault because i didnt notice him sneak behind the sofa in time.

Last night, I'm sure he pretended to have a wee so he could just go back inside. He did the action of it then came over to me looking for praise!

If I take hiim out and he doesnt want to go he lies flat on the ground giving me an impatient look.

And I hadnt seen him poo for a couple of days (though found evidence that he had so I wasnt worried) but this morning, when I took him out he hid behind a bush to do it!

I still have trouble with carpet though. I left the spare bedroom door open and he did one there and I cant let him in my room or he'll wee on the carpet. I have to figure a way to get two small areas of carpet thoroughly cleaned - I'm not paying a carpet cleaner $140 odd bucks to clean two areas less than a metre sq each!

Max has realised my room is out of bounds and 9 out of 10 times if I go in the room he'll sit at the door and wait for me. The door is always closed or barred off at other times.

This puppy training sure is bloody hard work but the rewards, like when he wants up on my lap for cuddles, is worth it

Puppy training is bloody hard work at times. Bandit has regressed to peeing inside again. It just means I have to be more on the lookout, get him outside more and realise that the two pups are NOT clones, both being the same all the time. No more accidents since I have been doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by FancypantsJen View Post
    Update: Max seems to be getting better (or should that be "I" am getting better!)

The last few nights if he's needed to wee, he's done it on his toilet mat in the laundry and we've had no over night poo's for quite a few nights.

We have had one inside mishap in the past 4 or 5 days and that was my fault because i didnt notice him sneak behind the sofa in time.
    Last night, I'm sure he pretended to have a wee so he could just go back inside. He did the action of it then came over to me looking for praise!

If I take hiim out and he doesnt want to go he lies flat on the ground giving me an impatient look.

And I hadnt seen him poo for a couple of days (though found evidence that he had so I wasnt worried) but this morning, when I took him out he hid behind a bush to do it!

I still have trouble with carpet though. I left the spare bedroom door open and he did one there and I cant let him in my room or he'll wee on the carpet. I have to figure a way to get two small areas of carpet thoroughly cleaned - I'm not paying a carpet cleaner $140 odd bucks to clean two areas less than a metre sq each!

Max has realised my room is out of bounds and 9 out of 10 times if I go in the room he'll sit at the door and wait for me. The door is always closed or barred off at other times.

This puppy training sure is bloody hard work but the rewards, like when he wants up on my lap for cuddles, is worth it
    You got it!

re the carpet, lots of carpet cleaners on the market that will help if used carefully. I always close bedroom doors to rooms that are carpeted with a puppy so the problem can't occur.

Lol @ the hiding behind the bush. I know how the puppy feels, went behind a church once and there was this security camera watching me. Total mortifciation I assure you.!

Sounds like things are really getting better. Yes, it's hard work, but very much worth it. The best things in life are always the one's we need to put the most effort into, hey.

Hey, I'm toilet training two at once. To date no messes. But they spend a lot of time outside and are never in unless someone is prepared to keep an eye on them normally me.

All doors to rooms are closed and will remain so for several months. If they do disappear out of sight (believe me though I'm not far behind them) I search that area very carefully making sure there are no mistakes that would attract them back to that area.

I'm setting myself a target to see how many weeks I can go without any mistakes inside. So far two weeks. Now I've put the hex on myself LOL.

Mind you I have the home ground advantage in that they were born here so no change in environment which going by the success I've had with this litter is a huge advantage. That and the paper training etc.

One of my new puppy owners is having a bit of a hard time, the others all experienced Whippet owners are breezing thru which makes this old dog breeder a very happy person.
    Last edited by mouseandchicken; 03-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Thread Information