Tomorrow I start the process of phoning around and cancelling all things regarding Inca. Council, PetSafe, microchipping registar, and of course...Medibank Private.
I looked into insurance for Inca quite some time back (as many of you may recall.) I had intended to insure her once she was 8 weeks, even though she was still with the breeder at that time. I'm kicking myself that I didn't push the breeder to make a decision on which dog they were keeping sooner, so I could instigate the insurance long before she arrived. I had discussed all that with breeder, to no avail. Another lesson I've learnt!
As it stands, Inca's tummy issues and death have fallen within the initial 2 month waiting period, so I have had to pay the full 100% of all vet bills up till now and tomorrow have to pay for the autopsy as well. I am hoping they may be able to hold over the insurance funds we have paid so far until a future date, but hey, I'm not holding my breath!
I got a headache researching them initially, so just went with the company who we had our own health insurance with. There are policies out there that will even cover the purchase price of a deceased or lost pet up to the amount of $2500. It is well worth it. On top of the emotional turmoil of losing a dog, the financial stress also takes it toll.
My advice to others is to seriously consider pet insurance for your dogs, and to compare policies carefully. Thanks.