Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Breeds.

Default Changing Breeds.

I've noticed that some pet owners and breeders here have commented they've changed breeds throughout their lives.

Just wondering why? What is it that attracts you to a different breed? Do you ever compare them, and find one easier than the other etc?

Ok well I did have a great explination for you but then my laptop died and I cant be bothered to type it all again... sorry.

Long and shot of it was. I grew up with, and have since owned, a fair few breeds. Most of them I got into because I either grew up with them or got one as a pet or to train and fell for the breed as a whole. And some I rescued So I know a bunch of breeds and can compare them

Some of them were far easier to live with (i.e. whippets Vs iggies) and some I loved for the challenge of it (like the poodles) I hardly ever come across a breed that I can not compare to the others I already own, although the only bad thing about my tibbies is, if they live inside everything I own is covered in tibbie hair!.

There are some dogs I want, like a greyhound, simply because I know them and want one for a pet and to show, and a Border for training. But there are also those I just stubled upon like the tibbies.

So... I dont know if I answered you question or if I was just waffling lol

Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

Well, IME, the only actual purebred breed that I got to know and love, was Kiezer, the Rottweiler I grew up with. All other dogs we have had have been crossbreeds.

Obviously because of this, I have not really been with a particular pure-breed to get to know the characteristics and aspects of the breed.
    When I met Mollie’s dad, the West Highland Terrier (His name was Wee’Jock <3) I was in AWE at his gorgeous nature, beautiful temperament and funny characteristics! I’d liked Westies before then, just due to what I had heard and what I had read, but when I met Wee’Jock, I realised just how much I liked the breed!
    Everybody has different dislikes and likes and things change over time.

If a young fitness-trainer wants a highly energetic dog to run with, he might choose a Husky or a breed with particular high-energy needs. But then as he’s gotten older, he might want to settle back and change breeds to suit his current life-style.

When things change and circumstances change, people may want to try a new breed to fit in with their lifestyle and current-way-of-life.

Sorry if I got the wrong idea of what you are trying to say. I think I am just rambling on about nothing after re-reading this! :-) LOL
    © Demi's Blog ©
    Mollie; ChihuahuaXWestie; MY sunshine.xo

All of my dogs have been cross breeds, even my dads working dogs might or might not have been pure, as they were all farm bred for work. One b c breeder offered dad a huge sum of money for Biffa, dad said no as a good working dog was worth more than a pocket full of cash. Though he did let the breeder use him for 2 matings .
    I've had terriers, Australian x, a silkie x, poodle x, (dad was supposed to be a terrier x and mum was a pure minature poodle ) Big mistake somewhere Scottie grew and grew into what looked like a poodle x wolfhound when he jumped up for a cuddle he was nearly 6 feet. A gsd x a rotti x and a ridgeback x.
    Really hard to compare them as they were all x breeds. I didn't choose any of them except the Aussie terrier, a couple were given to me and some were rescues. I was a failed foster.

Well, I originally had boxers, but then when we moved we decided not to get a big dog for a while, until we were settled. so I was flicking through some dogs books and liked what i saw. I think i wanna go back to the boxers though. I met a gorgeous pair of boxers today, a pup and an adult. makes me miss them. wat do you think i should do, go back, or try something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerini View Post
    Well, I originally had boxers, but then when we moved we decided not to get a big dog for a while, until we were settled. so I was flicking through some dogs books and liked what i saw. I think i wanna go back to the boxers though. I met a gorgeous pair of boxers today, a pup and an adult. makes me miss them. wat do you think i should do, go back, or try something different?
    No offence intended, but judging by your posts, you seem to change your mind almost weekly about what dog breed you want. I strongly suggest you spend a few months studying breeds and going to dog shows before you make up your mind. Please don't decide you want a boxer just because you saw a gorgeous pair today.

I've been involved with the dog world all my life. During that time my family have had, GSD's, Kelpies, Chi's, Gordon Setter and now the Whippet.

We've also had a few mongrels that have come our way.

I was really devoted to the Kelpie for many years, but when kids came into my life and my oldies passed on I believed I didn't have the time for Kelpies any more. I once went to training 3 times/week and showed on the weekends.

I got the setter even though the skids wanted a Chi because they hadn't been around dogs and I thought they would of ruined it. Which they would of. They couldn't pick up the setter constantly after it reached about 9 weeks old, it was too big and heavy.

Friends with Kelpies always had a Whippet, and I loved that dog, he is still going at 16.

The Gordon is a challenge, slow maturing and I didn't want to go back there. They also require a lot of up keep for the ring.

So when the skids finally got older I got my first whippet. Found her to be highly intelligent and easy to train and to live with even if you want to do minimal training.

My mother has always had a Chi and we grew up with one or two in the house. She has an amazing knack of raising dogs and hers are delightful.

for us, its like a new challenge . its a big responsibility of course always with a dog but and dealing with a whole new personality

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicat View Post
    No offence intended, but judging by your posts, you seem to change your mind almost weekly about what dog breed you want. I strongly suggest you spend a few months studying breeds and going to dog shows before you make up your mind. Please don't decide you want a boxer just because you saw a gorgeous pair today.
    I know, I know. Im pretty indecisive about things like this. and I know i wont be able to get another dog for ages, so i wanna get my indecisive-ness over and done withbefore we're ready to buy.

That's really good to hear Boxerini, as long as you do all your uming and ering BEFORE you buy

Thread Information