Thread: Hi All

Default Hi All

Hi everyone,

My name is Macy I am new to the forum. I am looking into adopting a dog in the near future, and have been checking out a few rescue sites. I have never owned a dog before and it is a little difficult picking out the right one.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good first dog to rescue?

Near Newcastle, NSW

Hi...welcome to the forum

Hi welcome, You will have to think about your lifestyle and then energy requirements, the grooming required, the amount of shedding you would be comfortable with etc of the various breeds and X's.

Not all dogs are created equally. Some have higher maintenence needs than others for example. and specific breed traits should be looked into when deciding on the right breed.

Also Big medium or small? ruff and tumble or delicate etc.

It's something that should be taken into consideration before falling in love with the first big brown eyed rescue that takes your fancy.
    Last edited by Beau; 02-22-2010 at 04:11 PM.
    If you find yourself going through hell; Don't stay. Just keep on going.

I was thinking a small dog. I don't mind the dog having a bit of hair but nothing that will get to long.

My house has quite a large yard and good fence but with a small child I don't want to have a large dog.

I have plenty of time and love to give, and like to keep fit so a energetic little one won't be a bother.

I suppose what I am after really is a little dog good with kids.

First, like Beau said, work out what kind of dog would fit in best with your lifestyle.
    Choosing a dog ? dog breed selector | Dog Time
    (it's american so don't expect to adopt one of their dogs but the match thingy will help you find a list of breeds that suit your lifestyle - I found it quite accurate)

Then you can check out the breed specific rescues - we can help you find them if you don't know what they are, or you can check petrescue or similar. However most rescues do not advertise all their dogs on the web. I got Frosty from AWL and she was never on the web.

PetRescue - find your new best friend!

And don't take it personally if your contact lets you down. You might need to be persistant and creative.

Pick the friendly dog, not the timid one. Pick the dog most deserving to live not the hard case. Because if you pick the hardcase - the deserving dog could be PTS.
    these two websites will also help
    Before You Get Your Puppy | Dog Star Daily

And beware of puppy mill fronts disguised as rescue organisations. Avoid dogs listed in newspapers or on the trading post or in pet shop windows. Or found via google (not pet rescue).

RSPCA Australia | RSPCA Australia | For all creatures, great & small.
    Choosing a puppy | RSPCA Australia | For all creatures, great & small.

A rescue should be desexed and microchipped and vaccinated (you might need to organise boosters for a puppy) before you can adopt it.

Rural NSW

Hi and welcome.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Thread Information