We are in the process of arranging Mya's journey to join us, hopefully Friday 26 Feb. Not long at all.
I have been looking at the qantas website and have a few queries i'm hoping someone (that means you Shar ) can help me with. This is copied from the website regarding crate sizes:
Pet Pack Sizes
It is advisable to ensure that the container will meet these requirements prior to the day of travel.
Small (equivalent to one unit of baggage)
* Made of plastic material with absorbent mat and suitable for cats and small dogs up to small terrier size.
* Size: 56cm in length / 30cm wide / 38cm in height
* Maximum weight (including pet) : 15 kg
Medium (equivalent to two units of baggage)
* Made of polypropylene material with absorbent mat and suitable for dogs up to cocker spaniel size.
* Size: 66cm in length / 40cm wide / 52cm in height
* Maximum weight (including pet) : 20 kg
For larger pets you must supply an approved crate, which meets the following criteria:
* Wire mesh - minimum of 8 standard wire gauge
* Escape proof hinges and latches
* Bottom covered with a leak proof galvanised tray with corners and edges soldered and rolled up to 9cm
* Tray bottom to be covered with absorbent material to avoid leakage
* Show crates must be adequately locked. it is the customers responsibility to provide adequate locks for the crate
* Must not exceed 84cm in height
It also says :
Only small and medium sized pet packs qualify as part of your free baggage allowance. All other pet packs must be lodged directly with a freight company at the freight terminal and will incur a fee. Qantas recommends Australian Air Express.*
Without having the dog here, how do I determine how big a crate I will need? Is there a simple dog measurement guide anywhere because I can't find one. What size crate do you usually use Shar for the Shar Pei's. I intend to hire a crate so any recommendations there would be great too. I will check with Mya's rescuer but I am guessing Mya is probably about 16kgs now, do you think that will come to more than 20kg with the crate? Sorry for all the questions LOL. I will continue to pound the internet but thought i would ask on here too.