Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Dumb Question!!! Sorry!!

Question Another Dumb Question!!! Sorry!! *Update*

Can a 5 month old dog get a bitch pregnant???

My sisters stafford is being accused of getting the neighbour dog pregnant!

the dog next door digs under the fence and comes to play with my sisters dog, now they have found out she has a belly full of puppies, the bitch is a 3 yr old Labrador and my sister was told be had been desexed.(she was asking about vets in the area)

My sister was planning on have Rah desexed but they only moved to this house in December and they also have 7 children, so in the chaos it hadn't been done. He is booked in next week and was booked in before the accusation!
    Last edited by PEPSI; 02-13-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Yes...it is VERY much possible!!!

It is NOT your sister's fault that their dog dug under the fence and her dog got the bitch pregnant...it is THEIR fault for letting their bitch get in that position in the first place. It could easily have been avoided...by DESEXING the Lab bitch!!!!

Don't worry about it

My sister lives in Cairns, i live in Adelaide, so i only have her side of the story, but what has happened is that the neighbours have basically told her if she doesn't take the bitch they are going to have her PTS. They are not interested in the dog, possibly why it comes next door for company, they feed the dog pal dry food and nothing else, my sister spoke to them around christmas about if the dog had been wormed or had a flea treatment, they said they were not wasting their money on that, they had her "fixed" and that cost more than it should have.

My sister wormed her and did a flea treatment, because her kids play with the dog but now this has blown up and while my sister loves dogs, she has a lot on her plate and no experience with small puppies.

we are currently torn about what she should do, she doesn't want the poor girl PTS but she doesn't want another dog either.

I'll second Cleas, they are idiots and don't deserve the dog. If she never gets wormed etc your sister is in for a lot of work and expense if she takes the bitch on. Having said that perhaps she can organise for it to go to a rescue. She has to be realistic.

Can a 5mth old male get a female pregnant? there is always a possibility, especially if it's not the bitch's first mating/litter. I say this because the bitch knows what she is doing and probably would "stand" for an immature inexperienced dog, particularly one she knows well and has been playing with etc.

Also yes as already stated if she is three years old, they should be diary noting her seasons but then they are idiots so why go there.

I don't know what to say except I'm so glad I went to great expense with my fences.

My sister has taken the dog for the time being, she is madly doing some research online and she has an appointment with the vet tomorrow to discuss what is involved.

she is also having the bitch checked over by the vet!

the people next door have signed the dog over to her, including a letter saying they have given her the dog, they also provided her pedigree papers and the microchip papers, so at least she will have a good life from now on.

I dont know if my sister will keep her but at the very least she will make sure she finds a good home.

Good on your sister for fostering her out of a bad situation and hopefully now on to a good forever home. I hope these people do not get another dog.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

Good on your sister for taking the dog, even if it's for the interim. The vet will be able to tell how far along the dog is, if it's not too far along she might want to discuss aborting the pups. If I were in that situation I honestly don't know if I could do that, but then again my only experience with whelping was when I was about 10 years old and it was a neighbours dog.

Definitely get her to call the rescue groups, I know Denise from SAPDOGQLD and she is lovely, she will have some ideas I'm sure.

In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

I would have aborted Pretty's pups in a heartbeat if it was viable and no danger to her as she was so young. Now in hindsight I would not have my Jodi and Bandit as well as her,if that happened but I would have been in sweet ignorance of that.

Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

wow!
    im so glad you have a kind sister to take on the dog,
    i cant believe how the owners were neglecting it, so it sounds.....

goodluck from here, and tell us how it turns out!! X

I know some state AWL branches have a free desex for the bitch if you let them have all the puppies...

That would sort the problem. Any chance of getting the dad desexed too? That could have been done much younger.

Thread Information