Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Brush for Dog That's Blowing It's Coat?

Default Best Brush for Dog That's Blowing It's Coat?

I have a couple of dogs here that blow their coat a couple of times a year, one is a corgi x kelpie, the other is a border collie.

The BC has a very thick coat, I'd say a short coat (compared to others I look after that have long flowing coats).

I use a slicker brush on them, along with combing (including a fine comb).

But I have heard a lot about zoom-grooms, furminators etc, I'm wondering if they might be more effective. What confuses me is that some people say they "cut" the coat?

Any suggestions people?

In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

I LOVE the furminator. Once a week is all the ACD's, BC's and Kelpies need coming through here and they barely shed a thing after that. It clears the undercoat and removes the loose hair. I am gentle with it, but you can't be too slow either. I haven't had a dog dislike it yet, including some of the worse rescues that have come through.

I picked mine up from ebay, paid $35 for it with free postage. I just got a medium sized one.

ETA: I always run through the coat to clear any tangles with a bristle brush and a slicker first! Otherwise I'm certain it would hurt a lot for the poor dog!

Is the furminator the one that you can't overdo it with? ie, if you overbrush it can take out the top coat as well?

In My Home Dog Minding

Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    Is the furminator the one that you can't overdo it with? ie, if you overbrush it can take out the top coat as well?
    I honestly don't know? I've never had an issue with it at all. I guess it's possible, but I'd assume it would be with any brush. Sorry I'm not much help!

It usually takes me around 20 mins to do a short coat BC if that helps at all?

I'll definitely look into the furminators - might as well have one here given the parade of dogs that come through here!

I just gave the BC a quick 5 minute brush with the slicker and filled a plastic shopping bag!

*note to self* do NOT brush the dog when it's standing on a woollen blanket!

In My Home Dog Minding

Furminator, furminator, furminator......Did I mention the furminator???lol

I have original furminators here GAG, I paid $40 for each from the manufactor and I can let you have one for that price. Retails for $140!!!! It is the large size. Just PM me your address details if you want one and I will post to you!
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

Yep, furminator is the best! Got the large one for $20 on ebay (free postage)

hippo - postee linkee?

furminator, Home, Dog, Cat items at low prices on eBay.com.au

The seller I got the furminator from doesn't have any at the moment. But if you go to ebay and search for furminator (link above) there are several others coming up for that price

have to agree with the others..........definately the furminator! I also found mine on ebay, there is always some available.
    I use the furminator, followed by a slicker brush and don't have any complaints from my Huskies, in fact they are quite disgusted with me when I have finished and walk away, LOL

Thread Information