Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angelas Gone Batty

Thank you. I'm impressed.

If I could add one thing without causing a fuss or trying to upset anyone.

Pls don't group the rule/opression of Taliban as Islamic law. :/

Im not a deen or scholar but what they enforce is not Islam is.

Oh yep.. I get you rebec.. I meant Taliban not Islam in general.

Im not going to state my opinion and so forth, as its not what this is about..

I just want to know, or ask i should say, how do you go about fixing this then so that we CAN be equal?

It would be nice if there were enough teachers and doctors to go work out there, and vets too. There just isn't anything like enough in the Pitlands.

The kind of food that leads to bad nutrition in the Pitlands - is no better for white people when they eat it, it's just that nobody has taught them the basics of nutrition ie if you're not going to eat in the traditional manner - what foods can you eat from the shop and live ok. Just because there is lots of sugar laden soft drink and potato crisps that tastes good - doesn't mean anyone (any race) should eat them exclusively... we know that in town, but who is telling them out bush?

Same for how do you need to change how you live when you switch from nomadic with all biodegradable tools / equipment to living in one place with plastic wrapping and glass that never goes away. Stuff that is ok to do if you're moving in a week, isn't ok if you're staying in one place for a long time - eg basic rules of hygiene change. But who is teaching them this stuff. When I was there - nobody.

I know they cannot get enough teachers or health professionals for ordinary country towns, let alone the ones on the native lands. People might get given a house in a fit of government largess but are then given no ways (materials or skills) of maintaining that house - so when the plumbing breaks or the wiring breaks - the house is no good. Things are changing - but it is very very slow and things like the NT invasion - just make stuff go backwards.

The town aboriginies are a whole different deal in my head - but a lot of their trouble stems from how the rest of us look at them like we're scared. This can only be dealt with on a one person at a time basis. Make friends one person at a time. Don't make assumptions based on previous bad experiences or what you see on the news.

A good story - we did a trip in the Kimberleys - and there was a ute load of aboriginal boys or young men with a busted tyre, and my dad and a couple of others in our convoy stopped to help them fix it. We'd heard the stories about lying on the road to car jack (and this isn't limited to race), and I'd had rocks chucked at my car going past Yalata (a long time ago - last time I went past, in 2008, it was closed and no rocks either). But we fixed the tyre, Dad had a lovely chat, and it was all good for everyone.

Sometimes I think some people see the bad expectations that we might have (based on appearance) and get angry that we could think that way, and act up accordingly. Gawd, sometimes I've done it, acted scary because someone acted scared.

Anyone who wants to get a real feel for the effect racist generalizations make on a population - needs to watch some of Jane Elliott's documentaries - "blue eyes, brown eyes", change the way you've been thinking.
    Jane Elliott's Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes Exercise

I'll agree to an extent with that Hyc! A lot of education does need to be done, but then i ask, should we be educated them on "white" ways? or leave them to go back to their tribal ways?

If so where do we draw the line on this, where does it stop being whitemans law and start being old elders ways, and also in terms of support too ?

Im from melb, where there isn't a "problem" (at least when i was there) then i moved to Wa. and there is a HUGE problem, in the metro area but also up north where they have put in place many barriers (for lack of a better word, it's late please don't judge the word) as there is a huge problem with incest and statutory rape and STD's.. This scares me as a parent and as a person, as when i finish my teaching degree I wouldn't have had a problem going up there and doing the 2 yrs they ask, but not when they have that sort of problem on such a high scale.. it really restricts a lot of help..

As i said, Im not here to start a fight (far from it!) but i am curious to see what people think the solution is (both for and against, but NO debate!) as a lot of people can criticize but very few can offer a solution..

Quote Originally Posted by Jodz View Post
    I'll agree to an extent with that Hyc! A lot of education does need to be done, but then i ask, should we be educated them on "white" ways? or leave them to go back to their tribal ways?
    Most of their "tribal ways" were lost along with the rest of their culture 220 years ago. What they have now is a result of barriers the government put between Aboriginal people and non-Aboriginal people. What we need is to build a bridge and break down the barriers. We need white people to stand up for our black brothers and sisters and march along side of them and rally with them for better education, better resources, health care and other skills which will assist in re building themselves and us as a nation together.

If so where do we draw the line on this, where does it stop being whitemans law and start being old elders ways, and also in terms of support too ?
    You ask any Elder what they think of the law and they well tell you that they don't want their people drunk and violent, molesting their kids, getting disease and dying in prison. The only issue with "white mans law" is that what is ok for a white fella to do, is not ok for a black fella. Double standards is the issue. I don't see a curfew in parts of Western suburbs in Victoria where there are heroin addicts attacking people in the night and neglecting their kids and being a threat to society. I don't see big fences put up around these towns with guards around. Why is that? Why is it when Aboriginal people have issues like these they get treated like they are not a part of humanity and should be separated from the rest of society because of the colour of their skin? Do you think every single person in those missions are alcoholic petrol sniffing child molesters? No-way!! yet they are all treated as though they are a massive threat and white folk won't go there because of fear.

As i said, Im not here to start a fight (far from it!) but i am curious to see what people think the solution is (both for and against, but NO debate!) as a lot of people can criticize but very few can offer a solution..
    We are their solution. We need to tell the government how angry we are that we have been put in the position where we have become racists by coersion and lies. We need to tell them how angry we are that our Aboriginal people are suffering. They have their small tent embassy and they have their marches and rallies.. but they stand alone as a minority on their own land.
    Last edited by puggerup; 01-28-2010 at 02:41 AM.

I agree with puggerup

and about the tribal nomadic vs city living - there needs to be help working a middle way. Tribal nomadic - anything that tasted good - would be consumed until there was no more, very sugary things or very fatty things were hard to get and limited in supply. When you put that all you can eat attitude in a supermarket - you're in trouble so there needs to be a middle way. It's not just tribes people going through this problem. With obese Australians pushing 30% of the population - it's going to cost us all money in medical care for preventable illnesses.

We don't lock up white people for being homeless and drunk or out of it anymore, we don't lock up white children for stealing biscuits or cars. We ought to provide anyone locked up with plenty of education and things to do like gardening and basic life skills like how to read and write, how to budget for food and how to cook to feed oneself a healthy diet. Not really sure that's happening in Mr Rack'em'nStack'em's prisons. In fact we need some new prisons that could faciliate teaching people basic life skills but - they've been GFC'd (Global Financial Crisis) off the list of things to do - despite all the building money available for primary schools (ironically - not for more teachers).

It's very interesting in hearing this! I hope i didnt come across offensive in my questions etc

Not at all Jodz it's fantastic that you wanted to know.

Thread Information