Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Dog, is There a Best Breed?

I have two whippets, my Mum has beagles, a golden retriever and a standard dachie. They all get along, a few incidents but never anything major. I also have foster dogs through here, I have had beagles, greyhounds and at the moment have a blue heeler. again never any major issues. I think that it doesn't matter so much to the breed but more to the type of personality that your dog has and matching the same type of personality.

That sounds great about letting Jade grow up (and learn some basic obedience stuff like coming when called).

The comment about reading a dog's mind - is because I think the best second dog is one your dog likes and you haven't told us what happens when your dog meets other dogs - so how can we help you?

It's not like one particular dog breed has dogs which are a perfect second dog in all circumstances - life just doesn't work like that.

She is really happy to see other dog's. When we go to puppy school he licks and jumps on them all. Mum and dad have a heeler x and a white fluff ball, not sure what she is x with, but at they are older dogs they dont like you jumping and licking them all the time.

If we have passed a dog in the street she pulls really hard and wants to lick them. She is super friendly.

Adelaide SA

Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    IMO...if you are doubting yourself...then it is probably not a good time for a second dog
    i have to agree!!!

we are thinking about a 2nd dog as well, but after "puppy sitting" for a friend, i am not sure we want another dog right now. Our current dog fits our lifestyle, the dog we were looking after was a whippet, she is a lovely dog and she enjoyed the run with my husband in the mornings but i am not sure we are ready for a 2nd dog full time. Maybe we will just borrow other peoples dogs when we want to run with a dog!

Thread Information