Walking on a lead
- Apart from health benefits for dogs and owners, dogs that have a daily walk are generally happy, well behaved canine companions.
- A daily walk should be enjoyable for you and stimulating for your dog.
- He shouldn’t drag you down the street but instead should walk calmly by your side on a loose lead. This command will help you achieve exactly that.
- Training sessions should start in the backyard and be kept short.
- In the backyard, place a lead on your dog and praise him. Do this several times until he gets used to the feel of the lead attached to his collar.
- Once he is comfortable with the lead, attach the lead, praise your dog and had outside.
- Start walking and when your dog starts pulling on the stop, say nothing, wait until the lead becomes loose. When he looks at you, praise the dog, reward with a treat and then start walking again.
- Repeat this process each time he pulls. Make sure you praise your dog enthusiastically whenever he walks well. He’ll soon learn that he won’t be going anywhere while pulling on his lead.