Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Prong Collars, Why?

laura77,

the reason you have not seen the pinch/prong/power collar is because in Victoria it is banned. All other states I believe it is legal and can be seen anywhere.
    Last edited by Netty; 06-24-2010 at 09:15 PM.
    Dogs Aren't Our Whole Lives, But They Make Our Lives Whole

laura77, you have no right to come into this thread and tell the OP to stop posting in it because it's "boring". No one's forcing you to use a prong collar on your dog, so why do you care? If you do not like the topic of the thread, then don't open it.

gosh i have every right to say that something is boring just as the op has every right to go on posting!!!

its just annoying that this topic keeps being reopened and nothing new is brought to the table, the same few arguments keep going around and around....surley you can see my point?

and i wasnt having a go at the OP i was having a go at the topic in general both arguments for and against. if the person who had reopened the thread had been opposing the prong collar with out bringing new info to the thread then i would have had the same responce....

so stop having a go at me and telling me that i am infringing on peoples rights when i have been nothing but repectful and have not made any personal attacks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Does that mean I can ask you to stop posting in this thread because your posts are unhelpful and don't bring anything new to the table? They consist of something along the lines of "I am against prong collars because they are barbaric and cruel", and this is said over and over.

No it doesn't. Really, if this thread annoys you so much, why do you keep coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Netty View Post
    laura77,

the reason you have not seen the pinch/prong/power collar is because in Victoria it is banned. All other states I believe it is legal and can be seen anywhere.
    Surely it being illegal is saying something...

I can kinda see where Laura is coming from. it seems a bit odd to come back and drag up the thread after a couple of months, like trying to reignite the argument

Seriously...why does every thread need to turn into a s#*$ fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post

I can kinda see where Laura is coming from. it seems a bit odd to come back and drag up the thread after a couple of months, like trying to reignite the argument

Seriously...why does every thread need to turn into a s#*$ fight?
    I think it tends to sometimes get like that because not everyone communicates in the same way.

For instance, if I watch my words and be polite and respectful or ask others to do so, I'm labelled as either "scared" or a "pussy." But on the other end of the stick if I state my opinion bluntly, I'm labelled far worse.

Can't win, I'm afraid.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Default barbaric by whose opinion ..not the dogs

Im with you K9.Prong collars (we call them power steering for dogs) are so much easier and less strength orientated than a lot of other training devices.On large dogs that pull lets say 40 - 70+ kilos they are so efficient.A lot of our customers swear by them they are astounded at the difference they make within minute of putting them on comaperden to a slip collar/pinch collar or lest we say haltis.
    They arent barbaric .. barbarians never used them and they dont hurt the dog..just like a halti doesnt UNLESS its used wrongly.
    We dont immediately suggest a prong collar to a new customer ..we let them suffer for a while Then we show them how to use one .Most are gobsmacked at the difference.
    We strive for obedient dogs.Ones that we can trust to do what we say.Ones that disregard other influences.Ones that sit and stay sat until WE tell them otherwise.Prong collars help us do that.
    If the dogs thought/knew they were barbaric/painfull they wouldnt as our own do push their heads through the open collar.They know they are going training or for a walk they dont mind them at all.
    People THINK they are barbaric its their opinion albeit a nieve opinion and uneducated one even.
    They are a training tool in my opinion a great training tool and an effective one.
    I knew as i saw the topic that this would be a long thread and unfortunately ive come in on the end.

Making them illegal just means that the people making the laws have zero knowledge in dog training or vet science or access to any statistics on neck injuries and their causes in dogs.

I've been to a few of my council meetings and while they will spend thousands on consultants - they still manage to make decisions that are completely ignorant and stupid. Eg they paid a consultant to design features in a fenced dog park - and he included a basic agility course that would not be legal in any agility competition - because it is unsafe for a dog to use. The jumps are too close together and fixed. The weave poles are too far apart to be useful. And the seats for humans have gaps in the planking that can trap and injure a dog paw. And the tunnels are major hazards for dogs that run without looking where they are going.

And they wonder why we'd rather use the local cricket oval.

Just because it's the law - doesn't mean it's right or even sensible.

Default being illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Is it saying something when they want to ban "dangerous breeds" too?

Quote Originally Posted by allbreeds View Post
    Im with you K9.Prong collars (we call them power steering for dogs) are so much easier and less strength orientated than a lot of other training devices.On large dogs that pull lets say 40 - 70+ kilos they are so efficient.A lot of our customers swear by them they are astounded at the difference they make within minute of putting them on comaperden to a slip collar/pinch collar or lest we say haltis.
    They arent barbaric .. barbarians never used them and they dont hurt the dog..just like a halti doesnt UNLESS its used wrongly.
    We dont immediately suggest a prong collar to a new customer ..we let them suffer for a while Then we show them how to use one .Most are gobsmacked at the difference.
    We strive for obedient dogs.Ones that we can trust to do what we say.Ones that disregard other influences.Ones that sit and stay sat until WE tell them otherwise.Prong collars help us do that.
    If the dogs thought/knew they were barbaric/painfull they wouldnt as our own do push their heads through the open collar.They know they are going training or for a walk they dont mind them at all.
    People THINK they are barbaric its their opinion albeit a nieve opinion and uneducated one even.
    They are a training tool in my opinion a great training tool and an effective one.
    I knew as i saw the topic that this would be a long thread and unfortunately ive come in on the end.
    Fantastic post.

Everyone has an opinion on different training methods as everyone has a right to do.

Prong collars have their place. A well trained and exercised dog equals a happy and well adjusted dog.

I have used a check chain in the past with my cattle girl and it worked for us. However I have seen people nearly strangling their dogs with check chains as they have no understanding of how to use them effectively.

It all comes down to education and finding the product that best suits you and your dog.

Threads turn into bun fights because we are all passionate about dogs. We may not agree with each other all the time but our core love of our canine friends keeps us coming back.

There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion but it helps if there is some knowledge on the subject before screaming 'cruelty!!!' Just shows ignorance.

Thread Information