Thread: Barking Puppy

Default Barking Puppy

Hi - I have a 15 week old female cavoodle. She is doing great with everything except the last week she has started barking a lot.

She gives a bark if she wants the door open to go outside (fair-enough) - but she will stay out the front and bark at the fence for no apparent reason. Thankfully she doesn't have a very loud bark but I don't want to encourage this barking.

Should I ignore it? Growl at her???
    Any advice

My problem too!
    Except Roly doesn't bark inside, he just stands out side and nothing!
    I can only ask you what I have asked myself.
    Does he have any excess energy and he's wanting to burn off?
    Education not Legislation

Rural NSW

I have no advice but others will. Welcome to the forum.

weapon of doggy discipline works wonders in these situations.

It's unlikely the dog is barking at nothing, but do you really want it to bark at the postie, and the neighbours coming and going. I don't. Though I do like to know when people are walking down the back lane. That's people, not magpies.

So a quiet Uh Uh, and if barking doesn't stop -then squirt with water pistol. Doesn't need to be a direct hit. Just near enough to "interupt" or distract the dog. When it shuts up, "good dog" and treat.

If the barking gets really persistant, you can try teaching barking on command (speak) and then teaching "quiet". lots of treats involved.

And if that doesn't work and you are out a lot anyway, maybe a citronella colllar. Some councils provide them by way of hire, to help promote good neighbours.

Try introducing some basic obedience and food scavenger hunts to stimulate this little guy.

A variety of kongs in the front yard. I like to have about 4 toys out at a time and rotate on a weekly basis. So a total of about 12 toys.

It's also a fine line getting exciting (and therefore rewarding) a puppy who barks to out the door and then limiting the barking elsewhere.

I love the bark on command for "talkative" puppies. Try teaching it with the hand signal as well as voice and that way you'll have a neat trick. People will think your puppy can count.

Also get down on your hands and knees and see what he sees from that angle. There may be something that's catching his eye.

I've had a terrible time trying to get Rosie out of her barking habit. And believe me, that's exactly what it is, a bad habit!

I have spent a lot of time watching her to see what triggers her barking and I discovered that she barks at anything happening on the other side of the fence that she cannot see. Once she even barked at someone who was making a cup of coffee in their kitchen and she heard the teaspoon bang on the side of the cup!!

I reckon this is one of the hardest things to overcome and needs a lot of patience. Do not ignore it, it will only get worse and louder.

I have tried the Citronella Spray Collar with limited success. Now whenever I catch her barking I go outside immediately and I go and stand where she is barking and give her a "Quiet" command. Then reward her with a treat when she is quiet. This needs to be done hundreds of times consistently!

The dog needs to be desensitised from whatever triggers her, that's the only way you can achieve any results.

Also, make sure you go out for regular walks and I mean at least once a day and ideally twice a day.

Controversial or not, I have had great success with the static no bark collar. I use it only for when I can't get outside, like if I'm eating dinner, putting the kids to bed, brushing my teeth, showering, etc. It should only be used very minimally and always on the lowest setting. I can only ever tell that Rosie has received a correction because she looks around her immediately after she has barked. it's kind of like "where did that come from". And now when she has it on, she usually goes and has a quick nap.

Also, try to spend a lot of time in your backyard with your dog, play ball games, ride bikes, eat lunch outside, read a book and show your dog that it's ok to be calm and quiet outside.

you should see an improvement if you are consistent and firm with your discipline.

Good luck

Devonport, Tasmania

Look Op, I "cheat" with dog-training ALL the time. Makes it so much easier.

When she barks at the door to be let out, say 'speak. Good girl.' When she stops barking once you have opened the door say' be quiet' (and praise) or whatever you choose to say for the command to shut up. Use EVERY opportunity you can each day as a training exercise. Might seem pointless, but believe me it 's not - it will sink in.

I'm afraid I'm not an advocate of the spray bottle in the face etc, but that's my opinion, and I know it works for a lot of people.

You need to help your dog understand when barking is acceptable and when it's not. Good luck.

Thread Information