Ok here is my problem. I have a 2 year old English Cocker Spaniel bitch. She has access to the outside via a doggy door in the laundry. Outside I have a patio area which is concreted and grass/gardens around that. She is very good with toilet training and will not go inside unless we accidently leave the door shut on her for quite some time.
It also took no time at all to train her when she was a pup to use the door and go outside, however... when she was young, there was only a small area that was concreted and the rest was paved. We did not care about her going on the pavers (as we were going to renovated the garden at some point) and she didn't used to crap on the concrete.
We have since added a new patio area and taken away the old pavers. Now what is happening is that she will only go on the concrete. I have tried everything to get her to go on the grass. The main problem is that she will not go if anyone is outside with her. She will also not go on the leash no matter how busting she is. I will tell you what I have tried...
1. I hold some treats in my pocket and stand on the grass waiting for her to do her business. This does not work becuase she just sits next to me expectantly doing random tricks waiting for the treat.
2. No treat. Stand on the grass and use positive affirmation and encouragement. Nothing. Will just sit down and stare at me. I have waited up to an hour and a half for her to go... nothing.
3. Stand on the concrete. Taught her ... "on the grass" which she now knows to be... "sit on the egde of the grass and stare". Still nothing.
4. I denied her access to outside for a complete day, then tried variants of the above. I could tell that she desperately wanted to go with the wobble bum walk she had. Still nothing. She would just sit down on the grass and stare at me.
5. Fenced off the patio area for 3 months. She did go on the grass, but that meant that I was unable to access my backyard and was highly inconvenient. After 3 months of her going on the grass I thought she had got it... unfortunately not. When the fence came down the piles on the patio began once more.
6. Bought some sort of "go to the toilet" perfume/pheremones. Sprayed around the grass and sprinkled biscuits for her to sniff out, find and eat. No effect. Useless.
7. Bought citronella spray and sprayed the concrete area. No effect. I even tried pulling her to a terd, spraying the terd with citronella and spraying her with citronella and then shouting at her... nothing...
8. Punishments ranging from shouting and foul language to quite hard physical reprimands. Nothing. In fact this has now made things worse as she is terrorfied that whenever I go outside she is going to either get shouted at or hit for new "mistakes" on the concrete.
9. My wife has tried seeing as she wasn't doing it for me... still nothing.
10. We have put bottles filled with wated all over the patio. Waste of time. There was just poo inbetween them all.
She is a sweet little dog with no behavioural problems apart from this. I can't give her rewards because she doesn't do the appropriate behaviour and she doesn't understand what she is being punished for when I take her to the "mistakes".
I am completely at my witts end. I don't know what else I can possibly do. Its clear that what I am doing at the moment is clearly not working. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.