Thread: Puppy Walking Issue

Default Puppy Walking Issue

Hi

My puppy is 13 weeks old.

The first time I took him for a walk with a lead on the street there were garbage trucks and builders etc. It was quite noisy and I think that he was a bit overwhelmed/scared.

Ever since that day, he has been a bit apprehensive about going for walks. He is quite happy to play in the park, but when it comes to walking on the street he just sits.

I can lure him with food, but it only works as far as the last lure. The interesting things is that he eventually does walk after sittiing in the same spot for a few mins and he does so wimpering and complaining. Once I am on the return trip home he is practically runnnig!! he cant get home soon enough.

So any advise about this behaviour would be appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I hope someone is along soon to help you.

Start doing walks in quiet areas. Walk him up and down in the park as though it were a street. Just get him used to noises etc. Don't pander to his whims or he will get worse and worse

Are you going to take him to obedience school in the near future? Are you going to teach him to heel on the leash?

That would certainly help fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Are you going to take him to obedience school in the near future? Are you going to teach him to heel on the leash?

That would certainly help fix the problem.
    Yep.. am currently doing that, but not up to the walking lesson yet.

Great. I would do what Occy has suggested, and then slowly introduce areas where there is more noise. Bit by bit until it doesn't phase him. If at any stage he appears uncomfortable (I mean really uncomfortable, not just a bit of a whinge) then i would back-track to a quieter area for a bit and then try again.

Good luck.

Um, not sure I agree with this entirely but it works for me...

If dog sits (or hugs the ground), drag it with you. Do not try to cheer it up with reassuring words or pats when it's baulking. Do praise and encourage it when it's doing what you want.

I had a similar problem with Frosty. She soon gets up and walks properly if I start "dragging". She's still not thrilled with walks on the footpaths, and freaks out if we go near a busy road but she's getting better.

I think if I was serious about desensitizing her to the really busy roads - we'd go and spend a few seconds, then build up to five minutes sitting at the bus stop every day just to get her used to it. However if she refuses to go near a busy road on her own, I think that's probably a good thing so I haven't put much effort into teaching her any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Um, not sure I agree with this entirely but it works for me...

If dog sits (or hugs the ground), drag it with you. Do not try to cheer it up with reassuring words or pats when it's baulking. Do praise and encourage it when it's doing what you want.

Yeah there is some inconsistency in the methods I have heard. In summary from what I gather there are 3 probable scenarios:

1) If he is not walking because he is nervous/scared then I shouldn't be rewarding him for being in that state of mind. I should take him to a park and then introduce him to a quiet street later.

2) If he is not walking because he is being defiant, then maybe I need to be more assertive.

3) If he is not walking because he is unsure/distracted then maybe I need to use treats.

I think its scenario 1, and when I take him for a walk on the street, I end up being more stubborn then him, so I will simply wait until he gets bored and then he will give in and walk with me albeit reluctantly. It usually takes 20 mins to walk around the block, but I am hoping he will eventually forget about his disposition and get over it.

I had this exact same problem! I am able to coax Yogi with sausage but eventually he doesn't even want that so I just keep close to home incase he doesn't want to walk anymore. Some days he's better than others and yes he also pulls like mad on the lead when he knows we are almost home. I've heard that dogs get growing pains so I wonder if maybe their little legs or hips are just sore??! I do think that your dog will get more confident as he gets used to the noise etc. Good luck!

How have things been going since your last post?

My pup occassionally stops and sits at the start of our walks. A confident 'come on Troopa' usually gets him up and walking again. Sometimes I have to pat my leg a few times as I'm saying it. Then I give lots of praise when he walks nicely beside me

Thread Information