Thread: BARF Diets

Default BARF Diets

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am hoping to get some feedback about BARF diets, both the do it yourself and the BARF branded dog food sold in Petbarn. My little 2 1/2 year old puppy has suffered an unidentified stomach problem for the past week. He has been on antibiotics and was even hospitalised for a day. He is getting better but I still don't feel he is 100%. This led me to think about his diet (he has been off his food) which mainly consists of supermarket dry food and meat rolls. I have been reading online about the BARF diet and I am wondering if the rapid dramatic improvements they say you see in your dog's health is true? Do others think the BARF diet is the best diet for their dogs?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi and welcome

I feed my own version of a BARF/Raw diet and cannot reccomend it highly enough.
    I would suggest the do it yourself way first until you are sure of what your pooch can tolerate and prefers.
    As all changes of diet it needs to be done gradualy,not overnight.

We need some piccies
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Hi & welcome...

I'm the same as Choppa, i have my own version of barf/ raw diet that i feed to my SBT & i highly recommend barf/ raw diet too..

Here is a link to the authentic BARF range of dog food, i'm not sure if the one sold at petbarn is the original authentic brand that's created by Dr. Billinghurst as i've never shopped at pet barn....if you have any inquiries about feeding BARF you can email Dr Billinghurst at he's website & he will respond & help you, i've emailed him & found him to be very approachable & very helpful.

BARF Australia - Home of Dr Billinghurst's biologically appropriate raw food for restoring animal wellness

Hey Paris&Leo
    I feed my own version as well as the DR.B's frozen Barf.( this could be what they sell at PetBarn)
    I usually feed DR.B's frozen when I'm busy working heaps of hours. It comes in a box of 12 portions. I do give my girls a small cup of quality dry food with it. My Stafford used suffer from tummy upsets/gastro problems but doing well on this (touch wood)

Hi Everyone, thank you so much for the replies. I am going to gradually introduce a BARF diet for my puppies. I am really looking forward to seeing if it helps Leo's tummy. I'm sure that the one they sell in petbarn is Dr. Billinghurst's, so it's good to know if I am busy I can use this too. I will get some pictures up asap. Thanks again :-)

Rural NSW

I too use my own home version. If I am too busy which dows not happen much she just gets raw, cut up and the dry. Even a slab of raw that she just chews on or buries.

Thread Information