Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Today It Happened to Us...... Dog Bite.

Re-homeing him would be an idea. I am trying my best to get my mum to take my boy...she loves him to bits, but she wont take him atm because she works all day and then at night too. I'm waiting for her to give up her day job (partly retire) then she'll take him. The older he gets, the grumpier he will become...he'll be content at mum's away from all the whooo harrr...lol

In my experience (which certainly isn't as much as some other people here ), little/full-of-energy type dogs get more easily annoyed as they age. Perhaps this has something to do with how high strung they are?

As much as I hate saying it, perhaps rehoming is an option. I would not, however, put the dog to sleep. There seems to be a difference between "I'm-not-happy" bites and "I-want-to-hurt-you" bites in that the latter is aggressive (and is obviously so), and the former just shows that the dog isn't always in a good mood (am I making sense, because I can't tell :S).

If this is simply something that's coming as he ages, perhaps it is best to separate them. For example, you could leave him outside during the day, and allow him inside (in a separate room to your son) during the night.

Are you able to stress to your son to leave the dog alone? I understand he's young, but sometimes they can get the point

Oh, poor little guy!
    You must be devastated Cowgirl.
    I find it hard to give you advice as you'd have to tell us lots more about your pooch. His history, his behaviour with other dogs, past behaviours, any medical problems......the list is endless but you'd need to understand the reason why and what triggers his angry behaviour.
    Please don't beat yourself up though. You sound like a good baby & pooch mum.
    Before making a decision, i'd be trying to figure out why your dog is behaving the way it is and having a long hard think in regards to whether you can deal with it and do what's required. I would not rush into PTS.
    I'm no expert by the way. I have been dealing with fear aggression with my girl.

Sorry ,the dog has bit a child .
    Only one place for him now sadly.

Under no circumstances should this dog be rehomed! He has displayed human aggression and you have a duty of care to not pass this on and your dog has the right to being PTS with the person he knows standing over him.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Aggression or not - are you willing to risk it happening again? are you willing to keep this dog separate from the children for good? are you willing to risk it happening to friends kids? If the answer to any of this is no - then rehome the dog or have it pts

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop
    Sorry ,the dog has bit a child .
    Only one place for him now sadly.

Under no circumstances should this dog be rehomed! He has displayed human aggression
    Would you say the same for my dog? He has bitten my four year old brother (three at the time) when he tried to pat the dog with food around. The bite was on the hand, closest thing to the dog.

As harsh as it sounds - it's not dogs fault. I certanly do not ever recommend putting to sleep. If you could, please rehome him with someone experienced and with no kids.

Rehoming to a place without kids could be a good option. I am sure there are many out there like me, kids grown and away, grandies not here often and if they were the dog could be segregated.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershadowwolf24 View Post
    Would you say the same for my dog? He has bitten my four year old brother (three at the time) when he tried to pat the dog with food around. The bite was on the hand, closest thing to the dog.
    I dont know .
    Maybe .

Placing teeth on a child no matter the reason is just not tolerated.
    Why was your 3 year old brother able to be near the dog whilst it was eating in the first place?

In this case the dog has reacted aggressively for what ? And you have suggested to try and keep them seperate or teach the toddler not to go near the dog. That is hardly safe. Next time it might be his eye.....or his life.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

clomi calm?

Thread Information