Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some Facts Please

Quote Originally Posted by Tkay View Post
    I'm not strictly against the idea of crossbreeds (others on here will disagree with me) if tests etc were done on the parents as in registered breeders. The fact is this rarely, if ever, happens so you just do not know what kind of trouble you are going to have. Uneducated people say that crosses are less likely to have genetic problems but that's only if both their parents (and grandparents) haven't got any problems. Without tests, how do you know? Unfortunately, I have found out that Jenna has a strong possibilty of hip problems as other people who bought from this 'breeder' have been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. I know that pure breeds have these problems too, even if all the test scores are good but you have a much better chance of a healthy pup if you go to a good registered breeder.
    BRILLIANTLY said! I think very much like you.

Unless the parents are heatlh tested, and unless there is a record of ancestory, you have no idea what health issues the pup will have. That is applicable to any canine, regardless of it being pure or not.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Quote Originally Posted by v12amvanquish View Post
    So is it fair to that buying from a registered breeder you are getting a puppy who's parents and grandparents were free from certain health issues?
    No. Not at all. Genetic issues are a fact of life. Your family will carry genetic problems, my family carries genetic problems and canine families carry genetic problems.

However, if you buy from a GOOD breeder, an honest and ethical breeder, they will know what the genetic traits are of their lines. They will be breeding to avoid the disasters. They will test the parents and there will be evidence of this. Be aware that there are crap purebred breeders out there. DO YOUR HOMEWORK regardless of where you buy.

One very important thing you are also overlooking is temperement. In a purebred dog, you are assured of a certain style of dog. Each breed is different. For example, the Pug, the breed I adore is a sweet loving funny little character who has no real aggression. All Pugs will have this personality to a lesser or greater degree. A Jack Russell will be energetic, a Poodle easily trained and so it goes (I may be not 100% with the JR andPoodle but you know what I mean).

In a cross ,you have no idea what personality you will get. In the Pug x's that I have rescued, they are usually high energy and prone to barking whereas Pugs aren't.

A purebed is a known result. A cross is anyone's guess.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Hi v12amvanquish

If you decide to go with a "spoodle" please make sure that the Cocker parent has been DNA tested for Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) and Familial Nephropathy (FN). PRA causes blindness and FN is a fatal kidney disease. You will also need to ensure that the Poodle parent has had the relevant health tests carried out. (I'm not familiar with these but a google search should assist).

Purchasing a cross breed of both these breeds doesn't necessarily mean that you will have a healthier puppy.

Good luck!

planet Earth

We like the coat of the poodle but not how they jump (small kids in the future)
    It's not the breed it's the upbringing and the way you raise and teach your dog. Any dog, of any breed.

Perhaps I am wrong about this but I assumed purebred dogs also have health issues? is this not correct? My parents had 2 Maltese and both had hip issues but they now have a Maltese X Something and no hip issue?
    I guess that your parents are just lucky. I have mix with hip problems. It's nothing but a myth saying that mixes are of better health than purebreds. If you breed two unhealthy dogs, no matter what their breed is, they will produce unhealthy offspring.

Get a pup from a registered breeder, inform yourself beforehand, ask for all the tests that prove parents and ancestors ae healthy, and there you go... Or get a mix from the shelter (but remember, it might come with health problems too as you will know nothing about hs ancestors or his past).

And the las one - there's no such thing as stupid breed, just as there's no such thing as stupid race of people

Hi, this is my first post and I have a feeling it will stir up some of you.

My wife and I are looking at buying our first dog, we don't have kids yet but hope to next year. We have a reasonable sized yard which is fenced. We are looking for a medium-small/medium sized dog which can be jogged/walked and will chase a ball etc.... We have both had dogs in the past.

Our initial thought was for a Spoodle (poodle x cockaspaniel) or perhaps a cavoodle (poodle x cavalier) etc. We like the coat of the poodle but not how they jump (small kids in the future) I also don't particularly like the look of a purebred poodle regardless of size. The reason also that we don't just opt for a pure spaniel cavalier is that from personal experience they aren't too smart, so from that you can see why we thought about a cross..... quieten the poodle a bit and smarten up the cross. I know it's not a guarantee but from what I have read it happen more than not.

Now the issue that we are having is that those who like pure bred dogs have nothing but negative comments about cross breeds however I am yet to see any facts or links to official sites outlining issues with these dogs from a medical point of view. If someone can point me toward a study/fact sheet by a well respected person or company that can give me more details about cross breeds I would be most appreciative. Perhaps I am wrong about this but I assumed purebred dogs also have health issues? is this not correct? My parents had 2 Maltese and both had hip issues but they now have a Maltese X Something and no hip issue?

Anyway I guess I am a little disappointed to come to a community of "Dog" lovers only to hear sarcastic remarks about "Not really a breed" (Yes I understand that concept) and these dogs called muts and mongrels etc. For people who don't have your level of dog breed education I hate to think how they feel after reading that their $800+ investment is nothing but a pointless dog, I am sure their kids don't think so! Perhaps partly it is this peer pressure to have a perfect dog that leads some people to abandon their newly acquired pets in favor of something that comes with a piece of paper.
    Look at it this way - you may end up with a dog that has good looks and is clever - or you might end up with an ugly mutt that is dumb as dog sh*t - you can't predict.

Most of the people I know who own x breds know NOTHING about dogs and don't care where they come from so long as they get what they want. That is how BYBs and even more than this - how puppy farms - keep going.

I know one woman who has a particular x and wants another and doesn't want to know about puppy farms.

Google puppy farming in australia and you will see one of the main reasons I am against x bred dogs

Perth, Western Australia

Like soo many have said , the inexperienced seem to believe cross breeds get rid of defects... I have the same comments when i take my gsd x kelpie out and people ask, the general comment is "what a nice cross bread, i guess it gets rid of the hyponess and the hip problems" My reply usually is "we'll see"..

I have a pound/rescue pup and she's proving herself to be one of the most loyal family dogs I've ever come across. It took us over 3 years to agree what sort of dog we wanted as like yourself, we wanted a dog to suit our living arrangements, lifestyle and we already had a child and a cat..

Once we had narrowed down what size dog we would like, what breeds were suited to us, which ones weren't, hair/grooming factor etc, we then researched each breed intently on mannerisms, behaviors etc etc.. We then went and spoke to a LOT of rescue groups (SAFE, k9bestbuddies, rspca, and a range of others) to see which sort of dog would they believe would be suited to us (and more importantly would they allow us to adopt)...

A lot of the dogs they suggested we didn't want for one reason or another (personal opinion, research and at the end of the day we know more about our family life then they did, and they were only going on limited information), but we agreed on some and then the fun began..

I don't know how many hours i spent at pounds, online (petrescue is great!). I was on a first name basis with a lot of the volunteers, as every time a new dog came up i'd call with my list that i needed to know, and unfortunately because of kids, cats, and our house a lot of them weren't suited... After 18 months we found Chloe and we are RAPT with her, best of all shes a GSD which was one breed we really wanted but didn't limit ourself too..

My long winded point is, you really dont have to go through the specialty breeds to get the ideal dog, just do some research, ask the volunteers if you can take some of their suitability tests (which is a real eye opener) and ask what they would suggest... Take the time and you WILL find the perfect adoptee and best of all, you've not kept the puppy mills going or byb, but you've given a new start to a pup/dog thats had a bit of a rough time..

Defiantly something to consider..

Hey All,

Whoa, hang on what are we talking about here? Are we comparing cross-bred dogs themselves with humans that allow cross-breeding to happen? I read from Occy about the possibility of an ugly mutt that is dumb as dog sh*t? (and yes I read this in context). Upon last checking, and in today's modern pooch owning society - cross-bred dogs (however they came to be) represent a significant number of the dog population. I guess that's why I ask .. are we talking about the dogs themselves or the people who breed them? If the following of the opinions stated so far is accepted, there is a belief that cross-bred dogs don't have a place with us....

I guess I am not sure as to what the direction for pooches should be? There will always be cross-bred dogs .. so what do you suggest we do with them? I don't agree that they should be denigrated and persecuted just because they weren't 'born' correctly. Ok, so I guess there's a moralistic argument which ensues - the decision as to which 'being' is better - dependant upon their blood.

I kinda feel like the issue of cross-bred dogs is a bit lost because of the 'disgust' some people feel for backyard breeders. And I couldn't agree more on that topic ..

But, hey I realise the animal world is different to the human world - but we so often talk about pooches as our mates, our best friends and allow them on our beds, feed them only better food than 'us' .. so I guess I wonder why we differentiate between the K9 world and ours ...

Shouldn't we love them all ... (and again, if you're talking about wrongful breeding practices and not the dog itself, we need to specify.)

Trying to be constructive here so please let me know if I have my ideals a bit mixed up ...

Cheers and Pooch Wishes,
    SH, Lola n' Zep

Hey Amvanquish.

The issue is mainly one of healthy breeding stock. Healthy parents beget healthy babies, regardless of their particular breeds.

I think what often occurs though is that many people who breed for money with poor ethics have no regard for the health of their breeding stock. This is where the problems arise. They buy cheap and untested purebreds from unwary or unethical purebred breeders (yes, there are bad purebreeders as well!) and breed them together. This is like using rotten egss and stale flour to make a cake and expecting something great.

Excuse the metaphor if it is offensive, but you get the idea?

These crossbreds do end up in pounds and rescue regularly. Trouble is that they are often so far removed from their parents in looks by the time they have grown up that they are rarely identified, and are listed as all sorts of crossbreds.

I had a "spoodle" with me for a short time straight from a pound and he was very cute and sweet. But larger than both parents, and seriously hyperactive (cocker spaniels aren't exactly couch potatos!) He had a huge - I mean HUGE - coat of matted black hair full of faeces and urine. Poor little guy wanted to jump into everyone's arms but was obviously hard to be around... Was much better and happier after a big clip and bath!!

Anything crossed with a poodle needs serious grooming attention, and not just brushing. They need clipping, especially the coat on their faces and bums. Some folks don't realise the cost of regular clipping etc, and the difficulty of trying to do it on their own.

There's nothing wrong with a crossbred as a pet, but there are absolutely no guarantees of anything. As long as you like surprises they can be lovely. Just be really really careful of health issues.

Hi there v12mvanquish,
    I would like to say that most people here do not dislike cross-breeds, they dislike how they are created. Please have a read of my 'sticky'post titled; Puppy Mills & Backyard breeders-The truth..( in the puppy section of this forum) and you'll see why most of us dog lovers cringe when people mention 'designer breeds'.

Personally, I love both. I have had both and do have both. I have a rep. breeder pure breed and a cross breed rescue. I love the fact that i was able to know my pure breeds family history, health, see the parents etc. I also love the fact that i was able to save a shelter pup and recieve so much love and respect in return.

With my current dogs, I've had no major health issues. They're 5yo and 1yo.
    With my past dogs I had health issues both with pure and rescue.
    I've been lucky enough to have dogs with good temperaments but my shelter dogs have been more affectionate and easier to train but that could be put down to the breed and not the fact that they're rescues.
    Don't forget that the nature of your dog depends alot on how you bring it up. The life you give it, the love and affection, socialization, training etc.will shape your dogs nature.

I personally would not buy a cross breed from a breeder simply because I don't support backyard breeding. I would look at rescue websites and local shelters to find the cross breed you want or similar. Rescue foster carers do a great job and usually give indepth description of the dogs in their care as they've had time to live with them and get to know them so you get to know a fair bit about them before you even meet them.
    Good luck with your search.

I would like to thank everyone for their input, the discussion has moved to a much more civil pace than what I have seen elsewhere. It really does appear that as a dog, people are ok with spoodles and the like but the real issue lies with where they come from, sure they are likely to be a bit of a lucky dip in terms of appearance, temperament, medical issues etc but then again not all dogs are identical even in a breed and as many of you have mentioned it all comes down to training.

I think from what I have read (and please continue to discuss if you want) we will move away from a cross breed and head now for a purebred, for the reasons that we don't want to support pore breeding practice and cruelty to animals, the lack of knowledge about the parents and also value for money! From what I have read today cross bred/designer dogs really are over priced considering what you are getting..

So......any opinions on Beagles

Thread Information