Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem or Not Really??????

I think unless you are a registered breeder with the Canine Council for showing purposes then perhaps you should consider getting your dogs desexed. Unfortunately hundreds and thousands of animals across Australia are put to sleep each year due to "accidental" matings and ignorance. Its very sad to hear of so many good dogs being put down and people breeding without giving it too much though.

Their 2 posts that i think you should read before you make a decision about breeding from your Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

BYB's really tick me off, have you seen just how many SBT'S are unwanted in pounds & rescue centers etc

Rural NSW

Totally agree even though I am in "a situation" beyond my control.

i agree with you guys, i dont like the stats of pups,dogs being taken to shelters due to byb,, i was not looking at breeding them,i wanted to know the proplems the litter may have if my male got to her in season b4 i could seperate them,,9 dont want to dessex incase of sending to stud in future...ty

All ethics aside (which is not how it works but for hypothetical purposes...)

Yes, problem.

Unless you really know the last five generations at least and what real and potential genetic conditions they display as well as carry you shouldn't even attempt it. Something really nasty can pop up from way back and cause suffering (for the pups) and heartache as well as big $$ (for you).

Sorry - forgot to add.

Lock her up.

Send your boy to stay with family or friends if you don't trust your ability to keep her in.

If the worst happened and he got to her, get her an innjection - which works out much cheaper than whelping and raising a litter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nattylou View Post
    All ethics aside (which is not how it works but for hypothetical purposes...)

Yes, problem.

Unless you really know the last five generations at least and what real and potential genetic conditions they display as well as carry you shouldn't even attempt it. Something really nasty can pop up from way back and cause suffering (for the pups) and heartache as well as big $$ (for you).
    thank you ,,,,at last a real answer to my question,,,,,just 4 the record once again breeding was not my goal , i love this female tht was just born and wanted to be safe..... i thought thats wat a forum is about--- (asking questions so you can learn the answer))))

Even though these would be half brother and sister, ie share one parent, breeding them together would double (or quadruple) your chances of getting any genetic fault of the father expressed, especially if it is also in bigboy or biggirl from their respective mothers.

It is a chance thing, there is a chance it would all go good but the chance is like 3 to 1 it goes bad. Ie it is much more likely to be bad than good.

So if you really must do this, then you'd want to get genetic disease tests done on both bigboy and biggirl before you breed them.

Then again if you cared - you'd have papers for all your dogs and breed club recommendations to go for genetic diversity and not mate half siblings or other close relations. You'd know something about basic genetics, and I don't mean genetic modification or gene slicing. I mean you'd know about hereditary diseases.

Genetic problems that happen to Staffordshire bull terriers
    Hip displasia
    Cataracts in the eyes

General genetic problems with breeding close relatives (incest)
    Bad immune system - dogs will be prone to any disease going and get it more severely than a genetically healthy dog.
    Shortened life span. Dog will not live as long as a normal dog.

From a pitbull info website about why you try for genetic diversity and you test for genetic problems...
    "Congenital malformations are those issues or inherited problem which a puppy is born with. Congenital malformations are defects in the structure of tissues and can include things such as cleft palate, kinked tail, dysplasia, heart murmers etc.

A metabolic disorders is another type of genetic issue that can be inherited. Metabolic disorders are typically those that affect can include pacreatitis, Histiocytic colitis, protein-losing enteropathy and other strange sounding diseases. These are typically things that make the dog less than healthy. Things that you cannot see or hear but that progressively deteriorate the health of the animal.

Finally there are inherited issues that affect systems such as the immune system. These systemic diseases can remain dormant for many years and only act to shorten the lifespan of the dog. An example is the increased cancer rates seen in closely bred gos that are not particulaly associated with aging or environment. Infectious diseases are also more disasterous in dogs with inherited problems with the immune system."

Encyclopedia of the American Pit Bull Terrier : Genetic Disorders

And you wonder why we don't like people like you around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Would you please rewrite your post in grown up talk to begin with please?
    Then I'll give you that lesson.

Sorry, nothing to add but to say I did have a coffee splerk moment at Chops response.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Come on guys, we are here to educate and share. People don't automatically know stuff like this, and it's soooo much better that they seek out answers rather than muddle along on their own.

Inbreeding is not all bad. The biggest case for this is the Arabian horse. Closely bred for millennia and one of the toughest and healthiest breeds around - not to mention beautiful. Their genetic prepotence is so powerful it has been used to positively influence almost every other breed of horse in the world.

But you need to consider their background to fully understand the issue. They come from a harsh background where survival of the fittest is an absolute rule. There is no food, water, time or inclination to nurture sickly animals. Sound harsh? You bet.

But what that means is that the effect of inbreeding is constantly doubling up on a securely healthy and proven base.

This base is what we are often lacking in modern dog breeds. We do nurture sickly individuals, which is fine from a welfare point of view. But to breed on from them is a no-no. But it happens. Why? Because we are breeding for our own reasons and not necessarily theirs. We are breeding for beauty, for ability, for sentimentaility, etc etc etc - the list goes on.

Dogs have no concept of incest. Incest is a human term born of morals and ethics. That's great, they are what society is based upon. But dogs are not people. Inbreeding can and does happen in the wild, in any and all mammal species. But again, there is no room for weakness or sickness so close breedings that show a health fault tend to end with nothing further as those animals don't reach breeding age.

Remeber - inbreeding is a concentration of genetic material, and nothing more. But it concentrates the good as well as the bad, and reveals what can be hidden...
    Last edited by Nattylou; 10-25-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Thread Information