Thread: Dog Screaming/ Howling in Sleep

Formally Warrandyte, now Windsor VIC

Default Dog Screaming/ Howling in Sleep

Hey guys,

I have noticed occasionally my 19month old Newfie is howling/screaming in his sleep. The first time he did it he woke me up and I had no idea what was happening- it sounded exactley like my boyfriend's voice, screaming with the tone getting deeper and deeper as it goes on- as if he's falling off a cliff!

I've heard him do it about five times now, and when it happens it continues for at least 45 seconds before I manage to wake him! It is really quite loud- I wouldn't be suprised if my neighbours can hear him (and he sleeps inside!) And I've never heard him howl at any other time!

Has experienced anything similar?

Loppy often has very vocal dreams.
    I usualy leave her unless they get really loud and she appears to be stressing.
    Most times I just give her a nudge as she is up against my back and its a tad annoying.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

Perth, WA

Funny you mention this. Taya sometimes talks in her sleep but last night I heard her howling for the first time!! Not very loud though thank goodness.

Rural NSW

While I was roaming the net on another topic I did read a few times that there are different "fear" periods in a dog's growth stages. That it how we respond to them, ie make a fuss so it is reinforced there is something to fear or carry on as normal to show there isn't makes a big difference to emotional growth. Don't ask me where though as I have been everywhere, lol.

No idea if this is any help or not.

Very interesting, PAw- Sha only has done this in the past, not often and not too loud but I have heard it on occations and the running in her sleep too. That is cute to watch.

My greyhound Chloe does it at least once a day. Its quite upsetting for me because I dont know how she was treated in her past life and if thats what she is dreaming of. I sit near her until its over.

Thread Information