Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JellyBean Sore and Lethargic.. WHY?

planet Earth

Well, what can I say - take her to a vet, but not the same one but someone more reliable and ask them to do blood tests and whatever necessary. Do not let them inject and mess with your dog without being certain what it is and without telling you what they intend to give her. Vets are sometimes like vultures who just wait for concerned owner to rip him off.

It sounds suspiciously like some sort of infection and I think blood/urine/faecal tests are in order before xrays. But I'm not a vet. Was the vaginal discharge even tested for infection??

Find a good vet though - and push the point on just how concerned you are. It sound nasty in the sense that it is affecting her whole body. If the antibiotics she's on were going to have a big impact they should've done that by now.

What's the latest R?

I agree with others. Go to another vet, get a 2nd even 3rd opinion if you have to.
    Hope your girl is better soon.
    All the best

Here is a bit of an update on my princess.
    She was getting better and was almost back to her old self for a few days.
    Monday she ended up with a bit of a limp on her front leg and was a bit stiff again but the limping stopped.
    Yesterday she again became stiff and lethargic and I assumed she had sore neck or back or muscles. In the arvo her eyes were swollen but they went down after I gave her an anti inflamitry.
    We took her to a different vet (by now she wasnt half as bad as earlier lol)and he said she definantly has neck pain and wasnt ruling out the pyometra. He did a full blood workup and I got the results today.
    Apparently everything looked fine. Her white blood cell count was a bit raised and that could indicate an infection.
    After almost being back to normal again today, she is now sore and lethargic and slow again.
    She has no Temperature....
    I have been googling like crazy and I am coming up empty.
    The vet is going to give me a call tomorow

Let me just add....
    When we wake up this morning... I see little wierd things on her bed (only 3 of them) that looked like small pieces of two minute noodles....
    We had lots of cuddles as she is hardly moving and I am so worried for her.. thats when i noticed a few more of these noodle looking things (they are only about a cm long) under her tail and they were MOVING!!!!
    research time again and i am thinking they are tapeworm segments....
    Intestinal Worms in Dogs and Cats at

What the hell is going on with my dog!

Im going to look into an xray of her neck because personally, I think thats where her main probs are and now Im worried about a spinal deterioration....

Poor baby is only 2.5 years old

I just rang the 2nd vet and asked if I could get a copy of her blood results and they told me no. They werent legally allowed to give me a copy.... Is that true? I thought I should be able to have a copy seeing as how I paid for them, and its MY dog.....
    I rang the original vet surgery and told them she is getting worse and that i wasnt happy with the 1st vet and they asked me to bring her back in to see a different vet this morning...
    The first vet (the one I am going back to today) charges $95 for xray. The second vet, charges $210-$400 for xray (they are the ones who wont give me the blood results ($147)
    So far I have paid over $350 and no one can tell me what is wrong with her!

Firstly, are you worming regularly ??

Regarding the soreness, you may need to consult a muscle therapist. Where do you live ?? I can refer you to someone if you live in Melbourne.

I think if you paid for the blood test results - you should get a copy. If they won't give you a copy, I think if I was you, I'd be ringing your state office of consumer rights to get them to get the copy for you.

And yes it does seem like she has worms (and possibly other things). It should be easy to fix with the right dose wormer. Are you aware that worming can be dosed annually - with an injection for heart worm, or monthly chews or three monthly chews or tablets - you need to know exactly what your dog is on and how often she is supposed to get it. And you would need to know how much your dog weighs - as the amount of wormer changes with dog weight.

And if tape worms have been in the brain or spinal column it would affect your dog's ability to move.

And if your dog has had worms - you and your family (anyone living in your house) may also need to have worming treatment - again dose varies by weight and a follow up dose may be required.

Also there are a number of different worms that fit the description that you have given - it might not be tape worm (they do look flattish).

FFS do not go near the original vet practice. You just waste your money and further endanger your dog's health. You need to find new INDEPENDENT vets in a separate building in a separate suburb/town even. They might be able to get the blood test results from the other vet too. When you ring to make an appointment - ask them if they will give you a copy of any test results.

Also if you paid any of the dodgy vet bills by credit card - I'd consider writing the credit card company a letter asking for your money back from the dodgy vet practice with a letter from a competent vet (one that helps your dog get better) explaining that you did not get what you paid for from the dodgy vet. Including writing the credit card company that dodgy vet would not give you the results of the test you paid for so you want your money back. It takes months for the credit card company to process these requests but they usually give you your money back and it might hit dodgy vet in the hip pocket.

Seems like you've been to two different dodgy vets - sigh.

So can you find a contact for a local dog obedience club or a club for your breed and ask them to recommend a vet. Quick? And then describe all your problems to the new vet and ask them about getting the results and xrays and etc for you, and also the costs of everything up front. Before you go to a new vet, write down what you want - make two copies, give them one. It helps to keep you focussed on getting what you need (eg worming? vaccinations?) when you're all emotionally stressed out because your beautiful friend is ill. I write lists for the vet, and for me for my GP just to make sure I get everything I need, and I do forget stuff when I'm stressed and the vet/gp sometimes don't answer direct questions because they get distracted too.

planet Earth

Check this out and mention it to your vet:

Trichinosis (or trichinellosis) is a complex disease about which little is known. It is caused by eight different species of round worm in the genus Trichinella. These parasites can be found in animals on all continents but Antarctica. Artic bears harbor a species of Trichinella that is resistant to freezing for reasons yet to be discovered. Recently a species of Trichinella has been discovered in East African reptiles, notably crocodiles. Carnivorous animals and humans acquire these nematodes (flat worms) by eating raw or undercooked meat and meat products of other animals, particularly pigs, horses, and wild game. The most reliable method of prevention is to cook meat thoroughly before eating.
    Once consumed from the diet, the worms migrate from the intestines to the muscles. Symptoms are usually so mild that the diagnosis is missed, but they can include stomach upset, diarrhea, constipation, eyelid swelling, and fever. Muscle pain due to the inflammation caused by chemicals the worms secrete can appear as early as one to two days after ingestion of contaminated meat. Later symptoms appear within two to eight weeks, when the worms have migrated into the muscles. Breathing may be difficult if the diaphragm muscle is involved. The heart, brain, eyes, and lungs may be involved in more serious infections. Most symptoms disappear within three months, but vague muscle pains may last for longer periods of time. Severe infections may cause death.
    The interaction of the Trichinella organism and its infected host is highly complex. The worm secretes a variety of chemicals that induce changes in the host cells. Some of these changes allow the worm to migrate from the gut to the muscles. Other chemicals cause the muscle cells to produce a capsule around the worm. Still others cause an inflammatory reaction in muscles. Discovering these chemicals will help researchers in understanding disease mechanisms in other infections as well.

Thread Information