Thread: Interesting dog visits.

Default Interesting dog visits.

My Banjo has had an interesting week.

First she managed to tear the skin on the big pads on both of her front paws right off. I don't know how she did it. We were at the river and she and Rhys were chasing rabbits in the dense undergrowth. The vet's best guess was that she landed on a rock too hard and skidded, scraping the skin off.

Poor thing could barely walk. She was trying to tippy toe but then just lay down, even when a strange dog visited our spot and started playing with Rhys. It was harsh to make her walk to the car later but I couldn't have carried her all that way on sandy tracks

So she got her booties the next morning. Vet said she'd need a bandage change every three days and she'd probably need three.

So I took her back after three days, they took her out the back and returned her without bandages! The vet was amazed at how well her pads had healed in that short time and she's walking on them without noticeable discomfort. Just can't take her for walks quite yet.

And she developed a hot spot on her thigh the day after she injured her paws. That seemed to hurt more than the pads, judging by her reaction to me trying to wash it and the vet putting cream on it. First time ever I've had to actually hold her at the vet. A shave and a couple of days of cortisone cream and she hasn't been licking it and it's not looking red anymore.

Looks like she'll be able to go to the river with us again next weekend.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Poor Banjo. But worth it for the thrills I'm sure.
    Speedy recovery!

Glad she's on the mend quickly! Rough week for the poor girl!

poor pupster... hope she heals quickly and easily
    Pets are forever

I keep a bottle of pad heal or something similar on hand, works great for my working dogs on the rough country out here when they skin a pad.

Oh wow! Want an adventure!

We have been quiet lately due to our own Vet trips.

First Thistle came down with throwing up for a few days.

Two weeks later she suddenly came up lame with no obvious reason - was circling in her bed one moment and screaming the next.

Then my rabbit suddenly passed. Vets thought it might be the new calici strainsp government paid for an autopsy and our house bunny quarantine lockdown. Results are null on anything.

The other rabbit presented as kidney failure but it’s not. He’s finally improving now the old duffer.

Thistles limp would come and go. Definite hitch in yet stride. An X-ray shows very abnormal tibia. First three vets not sure. 4th is the cancer expert and hesitantly cancer or super old leg injury that is still healing. Basically Since then had a ct scan and bone biopsy. Which also meant 4 weeks absolutely no running or impact activities.

Results have so far come up okay. Just bone. All been quite scare and expensive but might actually be a super old break. She has a follow up X-ray tomorrow to see if any changes since the original X-ray. Ideally no changes beyond healing to biopsy!

And just to finish it off... playing fetch with thyme. Tossed a ball into the bushes for him to find. He goes in and comes out screaming with a stick lodged in his eye socket.

He’s very lucky and should keep the eye. It’s looking much better. Might have a scar on the eyeball might not - he’s on 3 eye antibiotics a day until it heals. And gosh they heal so slowly!

I got pet insurance now. Too late for all this but I’m ready for anymore injuries or illnesses! And it will cover thymes desexing and our annuals.

Thread Information