Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resource gaurding me

Default Resource gaurding me

So we have had our new pup 4 weeks. A working line gsd male. Our older pup juice, desexed female and older sister..has pinned him and growled twice this week. Rather alarming to listen to but nil injury. Pup peed itself in submission, which i have read as very strong submissive behaviour. Pup does not give a rats arse n bounces back in minutes.
    On both occasions, ive stopped her, firm clear "No!", crated her for 10-15 mins. Resetting her off switch.
    Great till 2 days later n repeat.
    Environmentally, there has been breaches of dog etiquette: pup jumping on me or a bone in the room to gaurd.
    Juice gets heaps of 1:1 time with me. Pup comes on off leash dawn daily walk. But all training is separate.
    What would others do to train this out?
    Juice has been heavily reinforced for friendly gentle behaviour toward pup. All are safe. I can manage them to avoid flare ups.
    And despite having a ctate each, pup drags his blanket into her crate n they snuggle up all night.
    Only happens when i or bone involved, so far.
    Thoughts, suggestions anyone?
    Ps. All 4 quadrants trainer here.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

With T1 I went the firm but calm route. I was pretty sure her guarding was out of insecurity and nerves over a strange puppy and no real desire to cause injury. Plus I am both of them favourite things.

Did lots of place work and reinforcing of waiting for both.
    Would have her settle while I have pup attention. But gave her attention too for “existing”.

I focussed majorly on calmness. I also gave her more attention than the puppy considering the new routine upset.

If puppy bothered her. I removed puppy. If she bothered puppy I removed her.

By removed I mean I would grab a tab lead and gently guide away to either a nearby bed or mat. Then would praise the dog for being in that bed and make a mental note to reward more frequently for a bit to settle concerns.

Redirections. While playing with puppy I’d give T1 a toy or bone.

I erred away from any corrections firmer than a verbal “no” or “oi” or lead guidance (not corrections). Because I was being very mindful of T1s reactive history and the size difference - I didn’t want to risk misinterpreting a reason for a growl. Especially after going to so much effort to teach her to growl so she wasn’t son”unpredictable “ (read:smothered warning systems). Might not be an issue with you, just that’s why I kept my method to calmness, redirections via object or lead guidance and rewards for “existing” to reduce competition feelings.

All worked out. Sometimes a grumble of complaint if I’m playing with T2 but then she will self redirect on a toy. Then I will give her attention or she will sigh and lay down and I’ll givd her attention in a bit.

Worked out. I’m glad

Ty thistle.
    I too have avoided correcting. Outside of firm no. Then calmly into crate.
    Calm being the theme i want in 1st place.
    Lots of praise when she is nice to him which is 99% of time.

Are you sure it is not Juice just disciplining a PITA young pup ?

Something I did when ‘Jaws’ came here as an 8 week old pup – I decided that Riley would be allowed to discipline her – with no interference from me. I did always supervise – but I found I was always a ‘third wheel’.

I did try to keep them separate for 2 weeks – that actually lasted 10 days !

She turned 4 in May 2018 and she has survived and is still in one piece and no blood – other than heats. But if Riley does a growl – or even just a certain look - if he is not happy about something she has done – she hits the deck. Yes, he has pinned her ears to the floor a few times – when she was being a very persistent PITA pup !

Because of this – I never had to put up with the little girl biting Riley and swinging off his ears, tail or collar. Riley didn’t allow it !

Their relationship is excellent and they spend a lot of time ‘hunting’ in the back yard together. They sleep together and eat their meals and bones being very close together. Not a grumble from either of them.

Discipline may be growls and/or warning snaps. These are warnings – but if you step in and correct the older pup – the next time she may just bite – and you don’t want that to happen to a very young pup !

So much praise and letting her know she’s still number one!

Time to grow more secure about Thymes presence too. Very insecurity based for us.

Inadvertently I think I encouraged thistle to be a bit too tolerant with him as some times I have to tell him off for being a brat. But he responds pretty well to the calm guidance away. Gives me a look and a sigh.

Calmness in the household is very much my priority too. Being they’re both such excitable dogs
    Last edited by ThistleTheDog; 09-06-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Im 100% sure its OTT, but its her letting pup know she wont allow him near: bone, me, or on sofa.
    No dogs allowed on sofa till a few months ago. So ive stopped that for all.
    Im letting juice be 'my fave' no.1 dog.
    She gets fed 1st, leashed 1st, worked 1st.
    And trebbled reinforcement of calm, gentle.
    We r seeing improvement in only 1 pinned to floor so far.
    They are wrestling better together this week

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Im 100% sure its OTT, but its her letting pup know she wont allow him near: bone, me, or on sofa.
    No dogs allowed on sofa till a few months ago. So ive stopped that for all.
    Im letting juice be 'my fave' no.1 dog.
    She gets fed 1st, leashed 1st, worked 1st.
    And trebbled reinforcement of calm, gentle.
    We r seeing improvement in only 1 pinned to floor so far.
    They are wrestling better together this week������
    LOL – I am very sure that Juice is not showing OTT behaviour towards you or this new pup !

I am very happy to read - that you are now supporting your older pup. That is what I have always done with my older pups – regardless of sex. The older one also gets the first cuddle in the morning and the last one at night.

But, why the extra ‘training’ with your older pup ? She is not the problem here ! She knows exactly what she is doing. She is just disciplining the ‘newbie’ PITA pup !

I agree – that you would have a very big problem – if Juice had caused physical damage to the pup. But she hasn’t ! All she has done is pin his ears to the floor ! LOL – He probably deserved it !

Something, I also do with my pups – is teach them a cue word – different from each other – to eat anything at all. This includes meals, bones and treats. At the ages they are now – even if I put the meal bowls down at the same time – my little girl won’t start eating until Riley does.

Meal times, bone eating times - here is always a happy and stress less time for all of us. LOL – all I get is wiggly tails.

Maybe, that is something you could look at doing with your 2 ?

I am getting soft.
    But if shes led down, and the pup leaves his crate to walk out dog door for a pee - shell get him.
    Hes not being a pita, hes not even in the same room.

If i start giving commands, the dynamic changes hugely. And not a problem when training them.

Might be a matter of more frequent commands until it is more routine for her? She did suddenly get a new housemate, so some upset to be expected and will take a bit to fade.

However do not want her being unfair to him. Later on when she has settled and if seems appropriate can let them communicate, but for now... i figure keep playing "you're the favourite i love you" with a side of "sit here and wait, lay here and wait and think while puppy gets attention".

I did some training this w.e. "in ur crate". So i can train them separately without interferance for juice. This makes training so much easier.
    2 dogs have been = 2 half trained dogs. As i renovate n go to work.
    Took both dogs to new home where there is a lovely garden but more impotantly: 2 very vocal gsd's living next door. Trained:ignore the barking. Not a peep out of my 2 despite neighbours dogs constant barks, fence charging/scrabble to climb fence. Very happy with non reaction.
    Juice has met the neighbours dogs as theyd been getting over the old broken one. Now a 6foot solid fence.
    Wish neighbour would train his 2. But as they dont get walked, understandable they are vocal.

We move in on grand final day. Cant wait. Eli ate a ton of dirt. Puked it up in my car, on way home. Lesson learnt fingers crossed x

Thread Information