Thread: My dog

Default My dog

Hi guys a have a 1yr old boxer cross bull arab he gets obsessive for fetch time he goes outside and sits waiting for me to throw the ball and ideas on how to control this? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yep I once had a dog like that and never did fix it but I made sure my next dogs did not get obsessive. Probably finding other things to do like trick training, obedience training going on long hikes together etc. My dogs still will fetch if I instigate a game with them but I only do it occasionally and I do a lot of other things with them like agility, walks, training etc so they don't find the need to become fixated. It is really about doing other fun things with your dog so they don't become bored and obsessive about one activity. It is difficult to break that habit but it is possible if you replace it with other stuff that you both enjoy.

Perhaps even put the behaviour on cue so the dog understands that it will only get a ball game on a specific cue. Crate training is also helpful to help them to chill out when there is nothing happening.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 08-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalacreek View Post
    Yep I once had a dog like that and never did fix it but I made sure my next dogs did not get obsessive. Probably finding other things to do like trick training, obedience training going on long hikes together etc. My dogs still will fetch if I instigate a game with them but I only do it occasionally and I do a lot of other things with them like agility, walks, training etc so they don't find the need to become fixated. It is really about doing other fun things with your dog so they don't become bored and obsessive about one activity. It is difficult to break that habit but it is possible if you replace it with other stuff that you both enjoy.

Perhaps even put the behaviour on cue so the dog understands that it will only get a ball game on a specific cue. Crate training is also helpful to help them to chill out when there is nothing happening.
    This is my dog here

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kalacreek View Post

this is all great

Start doing other stuff with your dogs that give him the time her craves with you........ and put all the toys he uses for retrieve away and they only come out as rewards.... you could do all training with the retrieve as a reward. I had one dog that was not trained with food, but with bumper retrieves as rewards.
    Pets are forever

I spend a lot of energy developing what you have and dont want😁
    My trainer has drilled into us: dont just 'turn the dog on. Equally train turn dog off.
    Crate train: fasted non stressful way to teach calm/off.

Thread Information