Thread: Kelpie cross aggression

Default Kelpie cross aggression

We have had our gorgeous Sassy for 2 weeks, we knew when we rescued her that she was dog aggressive. We have booked a behaviouralist and have given her a check over at the vet to make sure she is not in pain.

In the last week she has started snapping at humans, only randomly. Her foster mum said she has never had an issue with humans before.

I believe moving to the city from the country with all its noise and busyness may have made her more agitated.

The snapping generally only occurs after she has been agitated by other dogs.

Otherwise she is a very sweet obedient dog.

I am concerned there is something we have done has made her more agitated and was looking for advice.

She gets 2 walks a day totalling 1 1/2 to 2 hours but we cannot let her off the lead.

Thanks for your help
    Fiona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are going to have to keep her under threshold while you work with her. Dont put her in situations that are going to heighten her arousal and don't let people randomly try and pat her especially on the head or lean over her. These types of kelpie/cattle dogs often don't like this and they tend to be loyal to their family/handler and dont like to be treated like a cuddly toy especially be strangers. She has had a lot of changes in her life recently so just be patient and dont rush her. I fostered a kelpie that snapped at people and really she needed time patience, training and for people to respect her personal space and not get her over aroused.

Hopefully the behaviourist can show you how to use techniques that will gradually allow her to be more comfortable in more stressful situations but this is going to take time. Also work at stimulating her mentally maybe with clicker and obedience training. Good luck, it takes time and patience and learning how to read her body language and building a trusting bond with her.

Thanks for the reply, we are happy to go slow and work with her.

We are discovering more about her every day. She certainly is s fearful thing, even moving my hands too fast, or holding a solid object in my hand makes her jump.

Remember to give her rest days. It is good to be training and working on her issues, but it is equally important to give her downtime and focus on just calmly chilling around you. She's got a lot going on, moving into a new house with new family in a new environment with new training. When she is snapping, she is pretty much going "i'm done!", so you will want to bundle her off for some de-stressing and calming down before she reaches that point

The behaviourist will help a lot.

I am a behaviour Trainer and I don't mean to be negative, but it will be a very long road, even with a good Trainer on board. I have actually kept two of the behaviour issue dogs and not passed them on and they are basically forever managed.... One is able to go off lead and she was a red Zone dog, but the fear aggressive dog will be managed forever. he is great when he is with us on lead and also with dogs that we know and train with as he trusts them, but one dog that is over friendly or aggressive towards him and he worries and if not managed I think would follow through. Fear aggressive is quite difficult and it is often what the problem is... The red zone dog was super confident, once we gave her limitations and boundaries. And did a lot of training, she coped well as she has no fear.... Good luck, get a good Trainer who does behaviour training. Many do well, but you will be managing the dog forever
    Pets are forever

Thanks Newfsie and thislethedog,

You’re right it will be a long hard road but one we are willing to take. We were probably naive and a little green when we took her on but determined to do what we can.

You advice is invaluable

Fiona

Thread Information