Thread: -Help- Dog Fight at Dog Park

Default -Help- Dog Fight at Dog Park

Just need some information or help on what I should do here. I'll try to sum this up and shorten this as much as possible.

I own two dogs, a 8 month old Ridge back and a 7 year old German shepherd. The Ridge back is fine around dogs, the GSD is weary but fine.

Partner and I went to the dog park, there were around 5-7 additional dogs there, we let our dogs off leash, all was fine and dandy,until another couple was bringing their two dogs down the footpath towards the park. Once one of their dogs, a small roughly 15kg, I didn't exactly notice the breed, dog, noticed several other dogs it started to act hysterical, aggressivly barking, loudly, non stop, as it approached the park, all dogs surrounded the gate, as dogs do, a few other dogs reacted towards the aggressive little shit by barking back, the only thing separating everyone was a fence gate, my Ridge back and GSD acted calmly, they don't react when other dogs bark, they're relatively calm.

Even though there were several signs for the other party to probably leave the area as their dog wasn't calming down, they still opened the gate with the dog acting hysteric, my GSD when to inspect and usually he sniffs and wonders off with his interacts with other dogs, However, he wasn't given the opportunity, the small dog bite the GSD left eye resulting in bleeding, my GSD retaliating and pushing his blunt teeth into the other dogs neck, not letting go, which ultimately not only lead to a traumatic event, but two built as a brick house men diving in pulling my GSD off, the owner of the other dog.

sustained injuries were to the back of the calf muscle of the owner of the aggressive dog. two punctures with bleeding.

My partner got a bite on her wrist, I don't believe it was from our GSD as the bite mark is sharp and too small.

I exchanged numbers.

I have never been in this situation before and would love some insight on what usually happens next. Was I in the wrong? I acknowledge I should have pulled my dog away from the entrance. I have never seen him attack a dog before, yet alone become so aggressive he won't leave it. If annoyed he will give the waning bark to other dogs but never like what I have seen today.

I am scared this will go to court and he will get put down. From the perspective of the other owners whom sat further away then I whom was only meters away, to them it would look like my dog attacked first but that wasn't the case.

The GSD showed no signs of aggression and to me it was clear the other party's dog attacked first, it curved its body as my dog walced towards it and bit him, blood not exactly pouring but dripping from his eye onto my jacket.

Very difficult in dog fight situations as it depends on how hard the other party pushes for a legal solution

I never go to dog parks with my own dogs, except in one HUGE dog park in Albury that has several entrances. And the dogs that I take are the dogs I use for demos and training.

But I have been to the dog park with clients as they want to be at the dog park... have seen and been involved with several fights, with dogs that did not belong to me or my clients... If you are not used to dealing with fighting dogs, you should no get involved... I personally believe anyone who gets bitten in a dogfight only has themselves to blame.... BUT.... what law states about dog bit to human, can be taken into several different directions.... I would see if you can just have a meeting with some third party to hold this meeting and see if you can just chat about it

The people who had the reactive dog and brought him/her in are really logically responsible for the whole issue.... But law and courts do not take dog behaviour into account and you might need to get some references for your dogs from a well known or accepted local Trainer. I have had to twice go into court to assist with this and both were good outcomes as I explained what happened and we were lucky with a great Magistrate.

Dog react bite when in a fight and have no idea who they bite often.... even the softest dog can do this once in a situation. I personally think that dog parks should be managed by Rangers and if these obvious reactive dogs are seen, they should be stopped at the gate... this is where multigates helps too and Large Parks... it is why the ver large Park in Albury works so well. There is lots of room.

If you now look back at that all great twenty twenty hindsight, yes, you should have pulled your dogs away from the gate and got out of there when they were putting that dog in... But that is quite difficult when there is only one gate and also sometimes the dogs you have might have been more reactive on lead... Hard to call, hence I prefer not the be there.

I have also seen some dog parks where you take turns to run your dogs and only if the person inside gives permission can you enter.. So friends can run their dogs and you could have said no to that dog, I like that.... KCC Park has that system and also multi runs, some for small only.

There are ways to stop a dog fight, but you need to have another dog savvy person with you and I am not even going to describe what can be done to stop a situation in case someone tries and it does not go well.

I have been in a situation where I have been stuck for nearly an hour with a very savage dog in a "safe" hold for someone to come and pick him up and secure him. after he nearly killed a cocker... that is not fun...

Just take great care in the future and be vigilant for your dogs sake... sorry it happened, but there are many idiot dog owners that spoil it for the good dog owners
    Pets are forever

Take photos of the injury to your dogs eye and your partners wrist and document in writing your exact version of events before you forget the details, just so you have it all in hand in case it goes any further. Truth is that you both should have had your dogs under direct control. If the other dog is dog aggressive that would be able to be demonstrated if the dogs in question are reviewed by an experienced person.
    I would think that the other party would not be keen on that being demonstrated. Not a nice thing to happen and I can understand your worry. Hopefully it wont go any further if you can chat about what happened.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 06-20-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Take photos of all injuries and keep a record.

I would say the smallish dog is mostly at fault, but you have a little responsibility too - for not collecting your dogs and leaving when a trouble dog is being brought into the park. You can not always trust that a laid back dog will ALWAYS be laid back - especially in such a highly charged environment as a hysterical dog that probably feels trapped.

That smallish dog shouldn't' have been brought to the park at all, it obviously didn't want to be there and when all its signs were ignored it resorted to biting. It is unfortunate it bit your dog and not its owner but it happened. I really feel for it, it must have been terrified and just reacted. And your dog has reacted to that and it escalated.

I don't think your dog will be PTS though. It sounds that while wounds received, they were all pretty minor considering the situation and adrenaline. You did the right thing by exchanging details. I doubt it would go to court, at worse you might get a ranger visit and a fine. But if they haven't contacted you yet, either the council with your phone number or the smallish dog owner - probably won't.

In the future, if you intend to keep going to dog parks I would suggest brushing up on dog behaviour to see which dogs are enjoying the park and which are there on sufferance. Call your dogs away from those that seem unhappy or cranky, or leave for a walk and calm back when only those dogs that are enjoying themselves are present. Definitely always if a hysterical dog is being dragged in - collect your dogs and LEAVE. If you can, tell the person not to bring their dog in as it is dangerous for a dog to be so worked up like that and it won't be helping them. If not, just grab your dogs and leave. Because you have big dogs - if it does get serious it will probably look worse for you.

and hopefully a wake up call for the other dog owners to find things that their dog actually enjoys - which is obviously NOT the dog park!

Oh my god. It sounds like an awful experience and I am sorry to hear it. I have never thought about what could happen after a dog fight, and what can be done if it does end up in court, so it’s helpful to hear people’s advice and insights.

Definitely didn’t know you could order an expert to assess your dog to support your case, and it sounds it would be in your favor because the other dog will likely fail that assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having you and your dog interacted with in bad ways is the entry fee of free dog parks.
    Please reconsider using them.

Thread Information