Thread: Why do Vets Treat People like Fools.

Default Why do Vets Treat People like Fools.

Zorro hates his claws being clipped and because he's so strong I have to take him to the vet every 2/3 months to have them done...he doesn't bite just struggles.

I have done this for the last 3 years at the same vet practice...a vet nurse takes Zorro into the nail room as I wait outside...two or three people hold him while his nails are clipped...then the nurse brings him out I pay and go home.

This time the vet who I've only seen once in the last 3 years Zorro has gone there brings him out and tells me I should bring Zorro more often to get him used to his claws being clipped.

I told her...he hates his claws being clipped...that's why I bring him and I've taken him more often in the past only to be told...don't bring him so often because his claws don't need clipping.

Vets know some dogs hate their claws being touched or clipped and that wont change...so why treat people like bloody fools.

Chloe hated her claws being clipped...she would scream...struggle and bite me but after 14 months she started letting me do them with some protest...now she's fine but Zorro is a different story. I tried to explain this to this vet but she didn't want to know...after all we do know our own dogs much better than vets don't we.
    Chloe & Zorro
    Rottweilers and German Shepherds are Family

Same reason Dr's do. They are told they are experts - and believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Same reason Dr's do. They are told they are experts - and believe it.
    In the past I've held Zorro while the vet clipped his claws...then about a year ago some bright spark in there got this idea...we'll take the dog from the owner...walk the dog into a room full of strangers and clip his claws...even more stressful for the poor dog...yes "experts" indeed.
    Chloe & Zorro

We have trained a few dogs to use a sandpaper board.... teach the dog to dig on this, they love it and it works in shortening their nails... we can even angle the board and get different toes done and we now even have a couple of kelpies doing their back feet. We use the ?buried treat under the board" system to start.... they love it

the board are just a very broad plank and we buy stick on sandpaper from Bunnings
    Pets are forever

These days vets only care about money...of cause the more you go...the more money for them. Why it takes three people to hold Zorro is beyond me ...I can do that myself. mmmm I wonder how many vets it takes to change a light bulb.
    Chloe & Zorro

Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    We have trained a few dogs to use a sandpaper board.... teach the dog to dig on this, they love it and it works in shortening their nails... we can even angle the board and get different toes done and we now even have a couple of kelpies doing their back feet. We use the ?buried treat under the board" system to start.... they love it

the board are just a very broad plank and we buy stick on sandpaper from Bunnings
    That sounds like a good idea, gonna try that next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In memory of Billy

Ive just received an additional bill. Having settled up on my way out, they've discovered something they'd missed an opportunity to charge for, and come at me again.
    I have explained: I booked her in for: desex, dew claw removal, ear flushing.

I got: you did not flush ears, you did not remove dew claws and the 'free ultrasound' of her kidneys, was because YOU accidentally nicked her kidney. So if you want play screw me into the ground financially. Lets talk litigation. We can both play at this game.

The partners will review my need for further billing of $78

Ive just received an additional bill. Having settled up on my way out, they've discovered something they'd missed an opportunity to charge for, and come at me again.

I got: you did not flush ears, you did not remove dew claws and the 'free ultrasound' of her kidneys, was because YOU accidentally nicked her kidney. So if you want play screw me into the ground financially. Lets talk litigation. We can both play at this game.

Wow they nicked her kidney?? When I got one of my ferrets spayed the vet accidentally nicked her bladder but by memory he fixed it all up and didn't charge me anything extra. Just made the surgery take longer and her recovery was rough but she pulled through. I can kind of understand an accident like that in a tiny animal like a ferret... in a large dog though it seems like something that should be much harder to accidentally do.

As for the original topic of this thread... if you guys are all so unhappy with your vets, why not shop around and find one you are happy with?
    My vets have gone above and beyond for me over the years (even before I worked there). Years ago I had a ferret with a tumour, I was only a kid and I couldn't afford the surgery to remove the tumour so my vet offered to do the surgery and only charge me the anaesthetic cost, not all the other costs which usually get lumped into surgery prices. Now I work there I see the same vet constantly offering to discount things and offer free services to help out people struggling financially. Not all vets are in it for the money. If you're not happy with your vet, find one you are happy with.

Vets had the bloody hide to send you another bill...after nicking her kidney... lawyer time.

Speaking of incompetent vets...several years ago my GSD Rex went to the vet with a cough...a new vet said it could be lung cancer ...he gave me meds and said come back it two weeks for an x-ray. Two weeks later new vet wasn't there...a different vet said...don't think it's cancer...gave me more meds and come back in another two weeks for an x-ray.

In the mean time Rex stopped coughing...guess it wasn't cancer after all and I didn't take him back for the x-ray either...I was luck it only cost me a couple of hundred. About two years later Rex went for his C5...vet says...I can feel something and did an x-ray. Vet says it's a tumour and he says "I'm 80% sure it's cancer". Vet says I should have an ultrasound...but because I was very upset since I lost my GSD Tara to cancer two years before...I waited a week then booked him in for the ultrasound.

Poor Rex was there all day...I rang several times only to be told...no news yet. At 5 o'clock the vet rings me and says...the tumour is gone...wasn't a tumour after all. ...it's a miracle...yeah right more like some kibble Rex ate...well that little adventure cost me $600 for bloody nothing.
    Chloe & Zorro

When you live rurally - shopping around gets harder

Thread Information